Ads not shown when logged in
Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    Thanks for the info - was actually considering the Brinkburn for food and a few drinks so will definitely keep it in mind. Any idea if the Crown Posada is currently open, or planning to open? The Facebook page said it was waiting for the end of restrictions, but can't find any updates since.
    Fitzgerald's sold the whole pub group and all their pubs are open, apart from the Crown Posada, which was sold to a separate company. Talking to other publicans in Newcastle they don't know what is going on with the place, and it remains closed. They may be doing a refit, but nobody really knows what is happening. Hopefully it might be open by the time you get there. The nearby Bridge Hotel is still open and has a great range of beer, they don't do food anymore though, which is a shame.

Also the best Indian in Newcastle is close to the Crown Posada, called Rani, if you fancy a Ruby. Have a good trip
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

This Space For Hire

I was in the Crown Posada many, many years ago, admiring the interior and jotting some notes down. The barman/manager shot over to me and asked "are you looking at buying the pub," I was obviously a bit too early!!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I thought the Crown Posada was the jewel in the Toon's pub Crown, so would be a shame if struggling to reopen, and I've never been.
    Elsewhere, grim news coming through regarding Porters Railway, Stockport, which looks destined to be flattened for another 'retail unit'...
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-pubs-21327028

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Elsewhere, grim news coming through regarding Porters Railway, Stockport, which looks destined to be flattened for another 'retail unit'...
    Yes, I was aware that it has been under threat for quite a long time (15 years according to the piece in the MEN) but this is looking like the end. The councillor who has objected makes a valid point about "another unnecessary retail unit. How can building another be more important than a thriving and successful pub, a significant part of the social fabric in Stockport and the lives of many of our citizens?” Is anybody going to be listening, though.
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I thought the Crown Posada was the jewel in the Toon's pub Crown, so would be a shame if struggling to reopen, and I've never been.
    Very sad news .........a pub much enjoted by the PuG crawl in 2017.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

And now an unconnected search from another thread has alerted me that the Hillsborough Hotel has closed?
    Things are unravelling badly if these institutions are being lost...

Being early for a Borough meet last week I decided to divert to pay a long-overdue visit to South Wimbledon's Trafalgar, once on train I thought I should check opening hours - only to find that it has sadly closed down, permanently...
    https://londondrinker.camra.org.uk/w...the-trafalgar/

Not been flattened yet - I was there on Friday on one of the Beer & Pubs Forum's "Proper Pubs" trips. As you can see, I went "off piste" as usual and encountered some challenging beers, but any suggestion that I might have fallen asleep in the Sun & Castle will be rebutted with all the power at my lawyer's disposal.
    Come On You Hatters!

Being early for a Borough meet last week I decided to divert to pay a long-overdue visit to South Wimbledon's Trafalgar, once on train I thought I should check opening hours - only to find that it has sadly closed down, permanently...
    https://londondrinker.camra.org.uk/w...the-trafalgar/
    Thats a bit of a shame, was on the revisit radar at some point.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

That ice cold and tastless pint of jaipur in the thornebridge pub.