Quote Originally Posted by pintplease View Post
Aqualung...The JDW I use in Leeds increased its guest ale price by 40p per pint from Monday this week. Went from £2.09 to £2.49 equal to 19% increase. New price lists had been printed so it will be interesting to see if they reduce the price by 1p as per budget and then have to reprint the price lists, serve em right for being greedy.
I've also seen a post on the other site saying that the George in Croydon's premium guests have risen 40p to £2.65 so I'm guessing that they are targetting the busier Spoons with a big increase. I'll be visiting two other East London ones on Friday so we'll see what's what then. The more important point about the budget was that the duty DIDN'T rise as expected and the beer duty escalator has been scrapped. A reduction of 72p on the cost price of a firkin which probably costs well over fifty quid is only going to result in a price drop as part of a marketing gimmick. Osborne's remark that he expects the penny saving to be passed on is ludicrous.

There seems to be some confusion in news web sites which are claiming that the ALCOHOL duty escalator has been scrapped. My reading of it was that it only applied to beer. I hope someone can clarify this point.