Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PuG Tools

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I hadn't looked at this list before, so thanks for the nudge.
    Not sure I had , Interesting to see The Blake Hotel at nos 2 , I gave it an 8/10 after your 9 and 10 over two reviews Will, hopefully not a major decline will ensue. To be honest the list based on at least two ratings is not enough for an average in my view , should be five ?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Not sure I had , Interesting to see The Blake Hotel at nos 2 , I gave it an 8/10 after your 9 and 10 over two reviews Will, hopefully not a major decline will ensue. To be honest the list based on at least two ratings is not enough for an average in my view , should be five ?
    It's nice to have a nudge to go to some relatively unvisited places though. Maybe a list for >=5 and one for 2-5. Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    It's nice to have a nudge to go to some relatively unvisited places though.
    Absolutely.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

How often does the top pubs list get refreshed, Dave?

https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/pubs/top-rated/

After I dropped 7's for the Jubilee and Duke in Norwich I expected them to disappear off the list, but they're still on there
    To be fair, you visited the pubs in early August but didn't get around to posting the reviews until a month later, and now you want the list updating by (let me check) the day before yesterday?
    Come On You Hatters!

Maybe a list for >=5 and one for 2-5. Maybe
    ...or maybe >=5 in the last 10 years, >=2 in the last 5 years, etc, etc...

Snow White appears to be asleep. Perhaps too much work on these lists.

It's nice to have a nudge to go to some relatively unvisited places though.
    That's all it needs to be, surely. No need for it to be updated in real time!
    Come On You Hatters!

That's all it needs to be, surely. No need for it to be updated in real time!
    Well it has to be updated regularly, and at some point. Else it's an out-of-date static list.

I thought the "weighted averages" were supposed to give less weight to older reviews - or does Alan's huge number of reviews give his ratings more weight?
    I don't think I got around to weighting ratings by age. It is more about a new user signing up and rating one pub as a 1 or a 10, that would have almost no impact on the list.

Looks like it was one-off run as it hasn't updated my visit status for those two Norwich ones either.

Can we have an update please, Snow White?

Maybe even a weekly update...
    It is supposed to update daily I think, I have an 'updatepubratings' script that is called at midnight. Maybe it doesn't work. I'll look into it.

Alan Winfield gave this pub a rare 10 - way back in 2011! I thought the "weighted averages" were supposed to give less weight to older reviews - or does Alan's huge number of reviews give his ratings more weight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I don't think I got around to weighting ratings by age.
    Snow White appears to be asleep. Perhaps too much work on these lists.
    It is supposed to update daily I think, I have an 'updatepubratings' script that is called at midnight. Maybe it doesn't work. I'll look into it.
    Please don't take it seriously, Dave. Ratings have always been a fairly crude tool, and even amongst those of us who have reviewed hundreds of pubs there is no consistency as to what a 5, a 6 or a 7 mean, never mind a 10. As well as this, and the issue of how relevant 10 year old ratings might be, there are a number of regular contributors who either never give a rating, or who consistently score every pub a 10. (I'm sure we talked about this when you were proposing doing a list of this sort.) So the list of comparative ratings is just a bit of fun and shouldn't distract you from more important stuff (in my humble opinion ).
    Come On You Hatters!

I don't think I got around to weighting ratings by age. It is more about a new user signing up and rating one pub as a 1 or a 10, that would have almost no impact on the list.

Yes that rings a bell from a chat we must have had eons ago. If it's a simple case of debugging a non-firing script that already existed for this purpose than I guess I'm not asking for too much