Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: memory of specific pubs

This Space For Hire

Default memory of specific pubs

I have been to probably less pubs than most on here but going back a few years some pubs stand out for a specific reason .Usually its quite a minor thing but it sticks in your mind even in my case 40 odd years.Here are a couple of mine
    I went for a weeks holiday to Boscombe in 1976 the hottest year on record.Opposite our bed and breakfast was

The Seagull- they were serving Brickwoods beers a brewery I had never heard of and it was good.So good I got hammered. The beer pump had a clear barrel shape thing with the beer in it and as he pulled the hand pump it poured into the glass is another thing that sticks out.

Another pub on that holiday was the Fox Inn Corfe Castle a quaint old pub with beer poured straight from the barrel.Must have been decent but cant remember but do remember the old landlord.A guy come in and politely asked do they do lager.The old Dorset landlord told him they do not do none of this new fangled beer only ale.The guy left and the landlord started ranting about Londoners coming down here with there new fangled ideas about beer.
    Remember it like yesterday although I am not sure what I did yesterday.
    Any thoughts on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I have been to probably less pubs than most on here but going back a few years some pubs stand out for a specific reason .Usually its quite a minor thing but it sticks in your mind even in my case 40 odd years.Here are a couple of mine
    I went for a weeks holiday to Boscombe in 1976 the hottest year on record.Opposite our bed and breakfast was

The Seagull- they were serving Brickwoods beers a brewery I had never heard of and it was good.So good I got hammered. The beer pump had a clear barrel shape thing with the beer in it and as he pulled the hand pump it poured into the glass is another thing that sticks out.

Spookily I was in the Seagull in 1976, it was an electric diaphragm pump that was installed, the first I had ever seen as it was more a northern thing. I actually remember the day more for a young lady called Abby who I met on the beach that day after closing time (2:30pm).

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Spookily I was in the Seagull in 1976, it was an electric diaphragm pump that was installed, the first I had ever seen as it was more a northern thing. I actually remember the day more for a young lady called Abby who I met on the beach that day after closing time (2:30pm).
    I suppose the pubs did shut in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by markisun355 View Post
    [/url]
    Are you a robot?
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 13-04-2021 at 10:25.
    Come On You Hatters!

Under moderation

You were clearly in original and unusual pubs, since you remember them and remember your visit for 45 years.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy_W View Post
    You were clearly in original and unusual pubs, since you remember them and remember your visit for 45 years.
    Most pubs then seemed to be "original and unusual", at least in terms of being unique. Sadly many today are completely indistinguishable and therefore eminently forgettable.

One of my biggest annoyances is visiting somewhere and remembering how it used to be, topped only by remembering that there used to be a pub there (end of sad old git rant).
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Most pubs then seemed to be "original and unusual", at least in terms of being unique. Sadly many today are completely indistinguishable and therefore eminently forgettable.
    Walked past The Englefield only to see that along with reopening with the new name, the CAMRA Regional Interest interior appears to have completely gone. Now there's nowhere worth visiting on Essex Road. In any event, it's Dominic Cummings' local as he lives in the next street - should have renamed it The Barnard Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    In any event, it's Dominic Cummings' local as he lives in the next street - should have renamed it The Barnard Castle.
    Could have been worse - might have been turned into a branch of Specsavers!

I'll get me coat....
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Could have been worse - might have been turned into a branch of Specsavers!

I'll get me coat....
    Actually it could be worse. The CAMRA Interior of Regional Importance seems to have been ripped out along with the name change. More shiny white bathroom tiles...