Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Real Ale & Interest In Pubs: The Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Revival of this old thread as I stumbled across it just now. In the intervening years we have added a new reviewer who likes craft beer (as well as real ale). Not quite a lager drinker but you get my drift

Can't think of anyone else though!!
    I don't mind trying craft beer ,in fact I think it is a positive thing for Real Ale and new breweries, A much needed kick up the arse . What I don't like is the prices and rip off culture attached .
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

I would imagine that people who look for new pubs and probably like the tradition of pubs will have a few things in common. Drinking beer rather than lager is also traditional. Out of interest do you record the beers you drink in the pubs or is it pubs only.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I would imagine that people who look for new pubs and probably like the tradition of pubs will have a few things in common. Drinking beer rather than lager is also traditional. Out of interest do you record the beers you drink in the pubs or is it pubs only.
    Not in a scoopy way, tried it for a month but decided I had enough to do. But generally I submit beer scores and mostly I have the name of the beer (sometimes more accurate than others) attached. If I have something particularly lovely I make a point of remembering it - though my unusually good recall for images helps (though when a brewery re-brands it goes to pot!)

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I don't mind trying craft beer ,in fact I think it is a positive thing for Real Ale and new breweries, A much needed kick up the arse . What I don't like is the prices and rip off culture attached .
    I agree .T he rip-off element is harming the brewers and will not help sell beer.I am personally drinking less and less of it as the prices are randomly set.Most pubs work on a stupid percentage price that they apply to everything in the pub.The Lyric Soho had an Arbor 5.2 keg beer at £7 a pint and when I asked the manager to justify why he actually told me it was on sale at less than his normal mark-up.

This Space For Hire

Not sure who you are referring to with no quote and the over page bit. When I started OCDville my spreadsheet wasn't as advanced as it is now with hyperlinks back to here for pubs and pub pictures and incorporating kml Google Earth push pin production potential I probably should have added drinks drunk/available and price paid but that's really not going to happen as it would involve a massive revisit tour.

Pubs only is my quest when I've completed the ever expanding quest of every pub in a massive radius of Bristol the only real additions will be pubs when visiting somewhere new and added on a new tab so I can continue to quantify new pubs every year. I'm sure Real Ale is more OCD than lager.

I'd love it if I had a job that took me around the country again with petrol paid as I'd be in as many pubs as I could.

Regarding your Arbor point as a friend of Mr Comer whose business it is I may mention the mark up to him next time I see him...
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 23-07-2014 at 21:50.

I've never set up a Spread Sheet and I used to work in IT!
    I don't keep permanent records of beers tried or pubs visited apart from a weekly list of beers and pubs for the purposes of reviews for the site and the beer of the week which I enjoy contributing to as well as seeing other people's favourites. These are written on scraps of paper that become increasingly indecipherable on a full day out.
    I just remembered that I had a couple of kegs at the London Fields Taproom as they were on Special Offer at £4.00 a pint. They were strong and very good so I didn't feel ripped off.
    The Chingford Spoons has knocked the price of the Sixpoint cans down to 0.99p for July so I tried a couple of Bengali Tiger cans today and thought it was a good drink. I can't help thinking that this is a sign that their Sixpoint trial has been a failure. Given that the chilled beer was cloudy this is hardly surprising as I suspect that even the more sophisticated Spoons drinker (is that an Oxymoron?) would find this odd at best. On the other hand the Spoons American IPA on cask seems to have been a big success even though the Chingford Spoons charges Ultra Premium band prices for them (£2.35). The Adnam's Enraptured today was superb.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I have recorded what pubs i visit with the date and beer drunk in that pub since 1982,these are written down in small cash type books,not the thin red ones the posher thicker ones.
    So i could tell anybody that i had a drink of Shepherd Neame Master Brew in the Royal Dragoon in Canterbury on the 26th of June 1982 or a drink of Fremlins bitter in the Three Compasses also in Canterbury on the same day,this was one of my largest ever crawls with a mate of mine,we had a quick half in the Alexandra in Chatham then did 25 pubs in Canterbury then finished off in Woolwich and did another 6 pubs,32 done in one day,i was well pleased and also wrote all the names of each pub down.

I also have spread sheet with all of my pubs listed,most of my photograpes are hyperlinked to this list,i can see just by looking at the list which pubs sell real ale or keg beers.

Is this OCD ime not sure,then again i dont have the faintest idea what the means.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Not sure who you are referring to with no quote and the over page bit. When I started OCDville my spreadsheet wasn't as advanced as it is now with hyperlinks back to here for pubs and pub pictures and incorporating kml Google Earth push pin production potential I probably should have added drinks drunk/available and price paid but that's really not going to happen as it would involve a massive revisit tour.

Pubs only is my quest when I've completed the ever expanding quest of every pub in a massive radius of Bristol the only real additions will be pubs when visiting somewhere new and added on a new tab so I can continue to quantify new pubs every year. I'm sure Real Ale is more OCD than lager.

I'd love it if I had a job that took me around the country again with petrol paid as I'd be in as many pubs as I could.

Regarding your Arbor point as a friend of Mr Comer whose business it is I may mention the mark up to him next time I see him...
    I would be interested what the brewer thinks of the keg prices.They normally don't say much about specific pubs as they dont want to offend.The brewer from Wild Beer tweeted a few months ago (how come a beer he sold 750mm bottle for £2.25 was being sold at £15 twenty miles away from the brewery).Expensive beer hurts the sales of the brewery and most people think its the brewers fault rather than the pub.