Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Premier League strikes again

This Space For Hire

Whilst I whole heartedly agree that Sky Sports prices are highly inflated I think that the issue of showing matches at 3pm on a Saturday has nothing to do with subscription costs. I have some sympathy for pubs that show matches via foreign channels at any other time of the week because Sky are money grabbing bar stewards. BUT there is a rule that grass roots football shall be protected by not showing football at 3pm on a Saturday. Sky own English football and even they do not show live football on a Saturday at 3pm so why should some pub in Stoke have the right?

I could spend all day writing a long winded rant about all aspects of Sky and what they do wrong but on this occasion I think that they are right. If they do not clamp down on pubs that flout the law other pubs will think that it is ok and before you know it almost every pub is showing live football at 3pm on a Saturday. It is not scare mongering to say that local clubs will be affected by falling ticket sales because they will. If a pub needs to break the law to make a profit then there is obviously something deeply flawed in their business plan.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

looked a cracking atmosphere on friday manager the best thing since sliced ...
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Spritzer Swallower

"It is not scare mongering to say that local clubs will be affected by falling ticket sales because they will."

That is probably a good thing long term. The cost of drinking in pubs is on the expensive side but worth it for those (everyone on here) who enjoy the social atmosphere, but pales into insignificance with the cost of modern football.
    I follow my team, Leicester City, to all home games & as many aways as finances will allow. When clubs like Chelsea are demanding £50 to sit in their shed & Liverpool £46 - £48 a ticket, £42 - £45 for a severely restricted view it is time to draw a line. Even Villa are asking £41 for a game on sky next week. What used to be a reasonably affordable way of spending a Saturday is now beyond the reach of many.
    I know of several pubs in my area that screen live football on a Saturday & the places are very busy during what would normally be a quiet period. As someone who sometimes struggles to keep up with what is going on in Interwebland the advent of 3:00 Saturday live screening in pubs is, as long as football is aimed at the well off, progress. The end is nigh for Sky!

I'll stay on me own

I have been in loads of pubs in Stoke over the last couple of years and have put in my review if pubs are showing live football at the time of
    visit,these games were usually Stoke playing either home or away,the coverage was from different countries.

These pubs were always full with people watching the team they support and drinking at the same time giving the pub a good profit on the day.

I say good luck to them,i have never had sky tv at home because of the man in charge of it,i will never give a penny of my money to him,so no sun newspaper or sky for me.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I have been in loads of pubs in Stoke over the last couple of years and have put in my review if pubs are showing live football at the time of
    visit,these games were usually Stoke playing either home or away,the coverage was from different countries.

These pubs were always full with people watching the team they support and drinking at the same time giving the pub a good profit on the day.

I say good luck to them,i have never had sky tv at home because of the man in charge of it,i will never give a penny of my money to him,so no sun newspaper or sky for me.
    Here Here! I'm exactly the same. To put it as politely as possible the man is extremely abhorrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    If they do not clamp down on pubs that flout the law other pubs will think that it is ok and before you know it almost every pub is showing live football at 3pm on a Saturday. It is not scare mongering to say that local clubs will be affected by falling ticket sales because they will. If a pub needs to break the law to make a profit then there is obviously something deeply flawed in their business plan.

I agree with Al 10000 about Rupert Scumbag, but Strongers has got it right about the football aspects of this. It's all very well the Stoke pubs making "a good profit on the day", but if it's depriving local football clubs of income (if Stoke City are away, Port Vale will probably be at home) then it's not a good thing over all.
    Come On You Hatters!

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I agree with Al 10000 about Rupert Scumbag, but Strongers has got it right about the football aspects of this. It's all very well the Stoke pubs making "a good profit on the day", but if it's depriving local football clubs of income (if Stoke City are away, Port Vale will probably be at home) then it's not a good thing over all.
    If Stoke are away and Port Vale are at home there is not a cat in hells chance of a Stoke game being shown in Burslam or areas close to it,

the locals dont even say the name Stoke City,i did say Stoke City in a Burslam pub and was told by the landlady not to say that word again,so i dont think any Stoke City games being shown live would impact on the amount of supporters going to see Port Vale.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others