Ads not shown when logged in
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: Disappointment of the week

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Amazing how unlucky everyone is, eh?
    Yes. Just the sort of bad luck I had in Reading's Nag's Head.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    It's on the list for a revisit in late November ,so I will keep an eye on the reviews just in case I need a plan B.
    I'll speed things up by going tomorrow or Sunday as it'll be rammed tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Yes. Just the sort of bad luck I had in Reading's Nag's Head.
    You must have been very unlucky.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    It's on the list for a revisit in late November ,so I will keep an eye on the reviews just in case I need a plan B.
    Now that is forward planning!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    You must have been very unlucky.
    Tris is very unlucky, don’t you read his reviews?
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Tris is very unlucky, don’t you read his reviews?
    Of course , it was a loaded answer.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    How about below-par cask, £6+ pints...
    You’re right, though it seems prices locally are comparable.

I popped into The Wenlock Arms on Saturday (usually quieter than Thursdays and Fridays) and there were two ales for £6.00 and £6.50.

Their 10-pump lineup ranged from £5.00 to £6.50 with an ABV of 3.4% to 6.2%, an average price per pint of £5.53, average ABV 4.2%.
    The service was fine as was the quality, but what has changed here is that it’s full of very exuberant people who love the sound of their own voices, as you say, a bit monoculture; I found it too noisy to stay.

I then popped into the Old Fountain and their typical four-pump lineup were all £5.70 (Lacons Norfolk Gem £5.70 a pint compared to £5.00 at the Wenlock), with ABV ranging from 3.6% to just 4.2%, average ABV 3.9%; there was a cider at 3.4% for £6.00.
    The place was unusually quiet for a Saturday evening and was about 75% empty.

I thought I’d also make a comparison to the nearby Earl of Essex last night, with their enormous board displaying too many exotic cask offering to list, then four cask options ranging from £5.90 to £6.20 (Iron Pier – Joined at the Hop 3.8% and £6.20 compared to £5.70 at the Old Fountain) with strengths varying from 3.8% to 4.6%, average price per pint £6.00, average ABV 4.1%.

Less central, a visit to The Cock Tavern on Sunday, where there’s no price list and I’m sure not working through 10 pumps, but I had Arbor – Mosaic, 4% and £2.44 a half then Wimbledon – Wilberforce Blended Ale (50:50 Best bitter and barley wine), 5% and £2.65 a half. I found this place to have the best pub experience/ambience and the prices are far lower than at the other three, along with a very engaging manager. And there are 10 cider pumps as well as 10 keg lines. And there are seven varieties of pickled eggs. And Joy Division’s Love Will Tear Us Apart on the piano.
    Last edited by Tris39; 24-04-2024 at 18:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    You’re right, though it seems prices locally are comparable.

I popped into The Wenlock Arms on Saturday (usually quieter than Thursdays and Fridays) and there were two ales for £6.00 and £6.50.

Their 10-pump lineup ranged from £5.00 to £6.50 with an ABV of 3.4% to 6.2%, an average price per pint of £5.53, average ABV 4.2%.
    The service was fine as was the quality, but what has changed here is that it’s full of very exuberant people who love the sound of their own voices, as you say, a bit monoculture; I found it too noisy to stay.

I then popped into the Old Fountain and their typical four-pump lineup were all £5.70 (Lacons Norfolk Gem £5.70 a pint compared to £5.00 at the Wenlock), with ABV ranging from 3.6% to just 4.2%, average ABV 3.9%; there was a cider at 3.4% for £6.00.
    The place was unusually quiet for a Saturday evening and was about 75% empty.

I thought I’d also make a comparison to the nearby Earl of Essex last night, with their enormous board displaying too many exotic cask offering to list, then four cask options ranging from £5.90 to £6.20 (Iron Pier – Joined at the Hop 3.8% and £6.20 compared to £5.70 at the Old Fountain) with strengths varying from 3.8% to 4.6%, average price per pint £6.00, average ABV 4.1%.

Less central, a visit to The Cock Tavern on Sunday, where there’s no price list and I’m sure not working through 10 pumps, but I had Arbor – Mosaic, 4% and £2.44 a half then Wimbledon – Wilberforce Blended Ale (50:50 Best bitter and barley wine), 5% and £2.65 a half. I found this place to have the best pub experience/ambience and the prices are far lower than at the other three, along with a very engaging manager. And there are 10 cider pumps as well as 10 keg lines. And there are seven varieties of pickled eggs. And Joy Division’s Love Will Tear Us Apart on the piano.
    Good work Tris, It's a dirty job but someone has to do it.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Good work Tris, It's a dirty job but someone has to do it.
    Amazing how things can turn on a coin: I popped into the Wenlock two nights ago and it was a sea of tranquility but the Old Fountain was now just too noisy for me; it seems some of these 'quiet' traditional pubs get invaded by very boisterous people. I think these pubs are a bit pot luck as far as the ambience goes, but the Earl of Essex can be deafening - a recent first visit with a friend who asked if we could leave due to the din - and the prices there are bang out of order.