Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Best of the Black Country (Meet Up 5th October 2012)

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Hi Andy,

That sounds good to me.

Gill
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    Hello Gill,

I have drawn up a timetable involving a pick up from the Wellington at 12.30, 50 minutes in each of the next 6 pubs (after travel time) and then arriving at the Great Western at 7.30pm. If your train comes in on time you should be able to get to the Welly for 12.30, in time for a quick half if you wanted one?

Andy
    Hi Andy,

Which 6 pubs are on the cards mate? - hoping to make this one. I am due to be on call that week but might be able to sort out some cover.

Don't worry if you are keeping the plans as a surprise for people - I wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone !

Cheers,

Del.

I am a salmon !!

No big surprise - I just wanted to work out a line of best fit so that we didn't spend too much time travelling rather than enjoying the pubs. I also had to be sure of opening hours at the pubs on the list. It was a difficult choice because there are some corkers to choose from but hopefully I have covered some good ones, especially for first time vistiors to this part of the world.

The date of the crawl is Friday 5th October. Pick up will be at 12.30 from The Wellington in Birmingham (which clearly isn't the Black Country but it's a central starting point and it is a Black Country Ales establishment). The minibus is a flat rate of £15 per head.

After a very welcoming experience on my visit the week before last our first Black Country pub will be The Waterfall in Cradley Heath - a Holden's pub. A choice of cobs are on offer on the bar but they might do us some bowls of chips and curry sauce if I ask nicely.

Next on the list is the Windsor Castle in Lye, home of Sadler's Ales.

How can I do the Black Country without a Batham's pub? I am spoilt for choice so I have opted for the Brewery Tap, the Vine (aka Bull and Bladder) in Brierley Hill. Pork pies are available at the bar.

Up to Netherton to Ma Pardoe's Old Swan, another classic brewery tap.

I was considering cheekily asking for permission (via a mate of mine) to access the Bottle and Glass in the Black Country Living Museum but we might lose people so I think I'll have to drop that idea in favour of a free house, The Fountain, in Lower Gornal - they do the largest cheese cobs I've ever had in a pub.

I aim to arrive at the Beacon Hotel in Sedgley in time for afternoon opening at 5.30pm where everyone can indulge in a pint of 6% Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby, brewed on the premises.

Last up is the Great Western in Wolverhampton which is another cracking pub, next to the station and the Premier Inn. I aim to arrive there at about 6.45 which would allow people time to have a pint before catching their train back to wherever they need to get to.
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 29-06-2012 at 21:40.
    Waes hael!

Andy, that sounds like a cracking plan. Well done.

Not bad Andy - for once I can proudly say I have been to all of your choices - not bad for a lager lout !!

Waterfall - used to be on a regular pub crawl of mine 20 years ago

Windsor Castle - had a short brewery tour there a couple of months ago

Bull and Bladder - used to be my uncle's local. Lost count of my visits over the years.

Pardoe's - Another much visited local of mine years ago.

Fountain - only been a couple of times.

Beacon - again only a couple of visits.

Great Western - only ever been once.

Which pubs will be virgin visits for your more remote attendee's ?? I'll lay money that Soupy and Gill have done them all before

Del.

I am a salmon !!

Waterfall - a pub I haven't been to.

Windsor Castle - been 2 or 3 times. Was shown round the brewery on an open day once.

Bull & Bladder - Can't believe I haven't been here, but it is not down in my recoeds so presume another new one.

Pardoes - Fountain - Beacon - Great Western. love 'em.

Gill

So many I had to discount on the basis of inconvenient opening hours, too much of a detour but all iconic in some way: Shovel in Lye; Waggon and Horses in Halesowen; Hawne Tavern in Halesowen; Duke William in Stourbridge; Bulls Head in Lower Gornal; Court House in Dudley; Mad O'Rourkes Pie Factory in Tipton; Jolly Crispin in Upper Gornal; any number of Batham's pubs; The Crooked House in Himley; the Mount Pleasant (Stump) in Sedgley; Park Inn in Woodsetton etc.

Given the quality/status among the ones above not making the final cut it should be a good day out!
    Waes hael!

Good news - I have just been (very swiftly!) seconded to another part of the University so my original busy period in October might well have been consigned to history.

In short, I hope to join you. Will confirm in a few days.

How are you fixed for places as a friend from Cornwall is interested in joining us on the trip as he will be in Nantwich and can make it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    How are you fixed for places as a friend from Cornwall is interested in joining us on the trip as he will be in Nantwich and can make it from there.
    There's still room for more at the moment. I have a list of people who have said yes so far but I will need to know definite numbers at some point because if we go over 16 (which we may well do) then they will need to bring the 25 seater.

My list at the moment is :

Me + 2
    Gill and Mr Halfpint and Graham
    Old Boots
    Bucking Fastard
    Oggwyn Trench
    Strongers
    Real Ale Ray and Real Ale Fiona
    Dave M
    Soup Dragon
    Sheffield Hatter+1
    Quinno
    Roger B
    Rpadam
    Del Boy joining us in Cradley Heath

Not all of these are definites so, like I say, I will need to get some confirmation
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 03-10-2012 at 20:10. Reason: ones in BOLD have confirmed since this post
    Waes hael!