Ads not shown when logged in
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Best of the Black Country (Meet Up 5th October 2012)

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Thanks Andy for organising a great day.The large bags of scratchings and pork crunch on the coach was a very nice touch.Good to see so many old faces and some new ones.Delboy's advice on the correct pronounciation of Quarry Bank ( Bonk ) was most welcome.

Rather fragile this morning and horrified to discover that I managed to consume pints of Oakham Citra,Bathams Bitter and Mild,Sadler's Thin Ice,Olde Swan Original,Blue Monkey BG Sips and Ape Ale,Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild together with sneaky halves of Bathams Bitter and Olde Swan Dark Swan.Every beer was on top form,great company always helps .

Hope everyone got back home safely. Looking forward to the next one.........
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Well done for organising this one, Andy. An excellent day out: superb pubs, great beer and of course the best company.
    Thirded! It was a brilliant day out and all but one of the ales I had was in tip-top condition.

That yam-yam incident will be forever rolled out. Poor Ray!

I also discovered that Soupy in an acid-tongued jouster - some of the mutual ribbing at the Beacon was getting pretty fruity.

I have recovered remarkably quickly given the amount of ale I shoved down my gullet yesterday (that bottle of water sure helps). I even briefly contemplated popping into the Nags on my alighting at Reading BR last night but I am clearly becoming more sensible as I decided to go home instead

I am still puzzling as to how I managed to completely miss Strongers. Given he's one of the few PuG regulars I've yet to meet I am doubly-annoyed. I hope I didn't shove past you at the bar Steve!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Ray's Yam-Yam fiasco will go down in history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Will Ray ever live down the Yam Yam incident Will he ever be allowed to forget it
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    That yam-yam incident will be forever rolled out. Poor Ray!
    Glad you all had a good day out. However, enough with all the teasing...Out with it!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    ...Out with it!
    That might have been part of what Ray said.....

Thank you to everyone for coming along yesterday. It's great when you organise something and everyone who says they will come actually turns up .... and on time. Hope you all got home OK. Hope also that Real Ale Ray had a good birthday and that he was up for another session in Worcester today.

It was good to see some familiar faces and to just pick up where we last left and also to see a new face - hope Strongers and DelBoy the Salmon (he's a lager boy so he swims against the Cradley Heath waterfall) can both come along to another one some time.

I went home happy, weary and not too worse for wear. That last cheese and onion cob in the Great Western finished me off. I'm now just finishing the last bag of scratchings before I go into detox.
    Waes hael!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sal.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	770

Swim against the stream !!!!

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I'd be looking to do a new ground. Burton Albion is the only realistic new league ground I could get to but they are away to Morecambe that day. That means I'm left with non-league but as it's an FA Cup date (3rd qual Round) I don't yet know who's playing anywhere.
    You should have gone to The Lamb, home of mighty Tamworth. We lost to leaders to Newport County.. Cracking match.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Cheers Andy, myself and Mrs A had a fantastic day, couldn't have been better. A big thanks also goes to Richard, navigating us hooligans from pub to pub. It was great to start the day in the Waterfall with a nice beef ruby murray and chips. I enjoyed all the Black Country beers and the choice of pubs was brill.

Unfortunately, we gave Worcester a miss the next day - far too fragile. We went to the Post Office Vaults for a dust Settler then on to the Welly. Then caught a tram up to the Black Eagle, from there visited the Sack of Potatoes, the Costa Green. Next popped into the Gunmakers Arms on Bath st, the Bull,The Malt house and Penny Blacks.

As for the Yam Yam incident Mrs A is still laughin about it. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to ask one of the locals in the gents toilet "give us a bit of Yam Yam mate" I only wanted him to speak a bit of yam yam.Obviously I won't live this down.

Great to meet everyone again and some new faces too

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    we gave Worcester a miss the next day - far too fragile. We went to the Post Office Vaults for a dust Settler then on to the Welly. Then caught a tram up to the Black Eagle, from there visited the Sack of Potatoes, the Costa Green. Next popped into the Gunmakers Arms on Bath st, the Bull,The Malt house and Penny Blacks.
    Too fragile for Worcester so stayed in Brum and went to 9 pubs instead. Nice one

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    As for the Yam Yam incident Mrs A is still laughin about it. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to ask one of the locals in the gents toilet "give us a bit of Yam Yam mate" I only wanted him to speak a bit of yam yam.Obviously I won't live this down.
    It could have been worse. You could have asked to try his Bumblehole
    Waes hael!

First chance to comment on the weekend. What an amazing couple of days. Did another 3 in Brum after I left the Gt Western (Bennets, Bacchus & the Post Office vaults) making 12 pubs for me on the Friday (14 pints). Saturday's customary 'Spoons brekky in the Square Peg was a little more subdued than normal but I gained pace once I got to Stourbridge where the Plough & Harrow, David Murphys, Mitre, Chequers, Royal Exchange, Katie Fitzgeralds, Edward Rutland and Duke William were all duly ticked off. Managed to take in Stourbridge v Chesham Utd (a 5-0 drubbing) before getting back to Brum for the 10th pub (and pint) of the day at the Old Fox and still managed to get home in one piece. Don't think I've ever had such an unhealthy diet over 2 days with pork scratchings, curry and the amazing orange chips at Sedgley. Well done Andy for sorting it all out and everone else for turning up. Can't wait for whatever is in store for the next one.