Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wakefield

Default Wakefield

Hi all,

A mate has decided to get married in Wakefield and I am off up for the do. Hotel and train are booked and I have a few hours spare for an afternoon crawl. Any tips ?? As ever good bad and ugly please !!!

I haven't been there for 15 to 20 years. we used to stop at a pub there on the way to Leeds but I have no idea what it was called !!

"Don't talk to me about sophistication, I've been to Leeds "

Del.

I am a salmon !!

There's some decent pubs here, but to be honest you may as well pitch up at Fernandes Brewery Tap and stay there. A stone's throw from Kirkgate...

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    A mate has decided to get married in Wakefield and I am off up for the do. Hotel and train are booked and I have a few hours spare for an afternoon crawl. Any tips ??
    Hi Del

Quinno hits the nail on the head regarding the Tap, though there are several others worth considering: The Hop, Bull & Fairhouse and Harry's Bar are the other three that make up my usual mini crawl. Depending on time, The Red Shed, Black Rock, Boon's and The Inns of Court are also possibilities.

Of course, all these are in the centre. If you're staying in the burbs, I can probably offer you some local recommendations. If you fancy a meet up, I'll be more than happy to give you the guided tour, if possible. Obviously, date and locations would help. (PM me if you'd rather.)

Cheers.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Hi Del

Quinno hits the nail on the head regarding the Tap, though there are several others worth considering: The Hop, Bull & Fairhouse and Harry's Bar are the other three that make up my usual mini crawl. Depending on time, The Red Shed, Black Rock, Boon's and The Inns of Court are also possibilities.

Of course, all these are in the centre. If you're staying in the burbs, I can probably offer you some local recommendations. If you fancy a meet up, I'll be more than happy to give you the guided tour, if possible. Obviously, date and locations would help. (PM me if you'd rather.)

Cheers.
    Thanks for the reply. We are staying in the Premier Inn and the do is at the rugby club. Me and my brother are arriving early for a few beers so I'll try and take in a few of your suggestions.

I'll probably have some questions for you closer to the time ( its not till September - we have got a stag do to survive first !! )

Cheers,

Del.

I am a salmon !!

I'll be more than happy to give you the guided tour.
    Del - I've done the guided tour. It's well worth the money!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Del - I've done the guided tour. It's well worth the money!
    Thanks for the endorsement, Roger. Your cheque's in the post.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Thanks for the endorsement, Roger. Your cheque's in the post.
    I also agree (split the cheque please )

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I also agree (split the cheque please )
    I just assumed you'd take the equivalent in beer, at the end of August. (Fine tune nearer the time).

I just assumed you'd take the equivalent in beer, at the end of August. (Fine tune nearer the time).
    Indeed so, that little bus trip out was great (yes, I know I still haven't written them up yet...!). Will be in touch re August when my feet touch the ground on Thursday (dogsitting at my parent's place...). Definitely want to do Bradford and that Shipley-Saltaire rail line (is it the one that goes to Huddersfield?). Aside from those I haven't made plans yet...

This Space For Hire

I'd second the Fernandes Brewery Tap. Especially if you like the pale hoppy beers Yorkshire excels at.

Quinno, Shipley and Saltaire are about 1/2 mile apart! Shipley has recently been voted the most complicated railway station so be careful. If in the area, I'd recommend getting the West Yorkshire Rider/Rover, about £6, and doing Leeds-Saltaire-Bradford Forster Square. At Bradford visit Sparrow and Corn Dolly, then get down to the Interchange station. From there you can take in Halifax then Sowerby Bridge, before switching down to the busier line via Brighouse. Change at Huddersfield and the 2 pubs on the station Grove and the Sportsman, going via Dewsbury back to Leeds. There's a couple others around on these lines but it is truly great value.

I'm looking for a similar tour around Greater Manchester using our Line Rover this weekend.