Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best of the Black Country (Meet Up 5th October 2012)

Default Best of the Black Country (Meet Up 5th October 2012)

If we secured enough bodies (double figures) and agreed on one of the cooler months of the year I'd do it (these places are great when it's a bit cold outside).

The Beacon Hotel in Sedgley is a must, and I'd be a little spolit for choice in Upper and Lower Gornal
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    Maybe one day I'll organise another Black Country tour but for the PG regulars - say, pick up at the Wellington in Brum and drop off at the Great Western behind the train station in Wolverhampton, taking in Halesowen, Stourbridge, Netherton, Gornal and Sedgley along the way. I'm drooling already!
    Silly question perhaps, but could one incorporate a walk through the (in)famous Netherton Tunnel as part of such a trip (only for the brave or foolish, perhaps)?

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

We would be up for it. Tunnel too. Is that the one where you walk a narrowboat through a tunnel using your feet on the tunnel roof?
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Silly question perhaps, but could one incorporate a walk through the (in)famous Netherton Tunnel as part of such a trip (only for the brave or foolish, perhaps)?
    The southern portal is not too far from the Olde Swan but after walking through the 3027 yards ,I dont think there are many pubs in the immediate area.Andy may be more aware of public transport availability at the Tividale end .It's quite an experience

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    We would be up for it. Tunnel too. Is that the one where you walk a narrowboat through a tunnel using your feet on the tunnel roof?
    No that's Dudley Tunnel which is parallel to Netherton but 2 miles to the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    No that's Dudley Tunnel which is parallel to Netherton but 2 miles to the west.
    Netherton has a towpath on either side, although I think the western one is spposed to closed due to its poor condition. The tunnel itself is some 3,027 yards (2,768 metres long) so in the middle you are nearly a mile away from daylight...

Interesting read:it reminded me of my only visit to the Black Country in the late 1970's, when we managed to try beers from Bathams, Holdens and the late lamented Simpkiss (JPS?), as well as Ma Pardoe, both in the famous pub and a modernish one also belonging to her. A good weekend; I also remember going to the Barton Arms in Aston, and having trouble with buses and television sets.

Admin: I have copied this post back to the original thread about The History of Batham's Brewery.
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 19-01-2012 at 20:28.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

I think that's at the Black Country museum. The Netherton tunnel is about 1.75 miles long. A long walk through the tunnel would be at the expense of spending time in some top Black Country pubs so I would be inclined to visit Ma Pardoe's and move on, especially since the demise of the Little Dry Dock.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Interesting read:it reminded me of my only visit to the Black Country in the late 1970's, when we managed to try beers from Bathams, Holdens and the late lamented Simpkiss (JPS?), as well as Ma Pardoe, both in the famous pub and a modernish one also belonging to her. A good weekend; I also remember going to the Barton Arms in Aston, and having trouble with buses and television sets.
    Enville Ales now brew Simpkiss Bitter.

I said one day I could arrange a minibus tour of the Black Country but I didn't say it was imminent. After consulting with my diary co-ordinator I have come up with a date. How does Friday 5th October sound?
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 17-01-2012 at 21:18.
    Waes hael!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

At the moment we look free for 5 Oct.

Little Dry Dock that yoiu mentioned. Was that the Mad O'Rourkes pub that had a narrowboat for a bar?
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

At the moment we look free for 5 Oct.

Little Dry Dock that yoiu mentioned. Was that the Mad O'Rourkes pub that had a narrowboat for a bar?
    Yes. I asked about stopping there when I did a Black Country booze cruise bus for my stag do just over 2 years ago. The bus company told me that they had a lot of bother from local kids when the bus was parked outside there. As it's now closed it's no longer an option.
    Waes hael!