Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Norwich

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Done my homework. Got a list of 15 but not intending to do them all - will generally fall in line with whatever els wants although I have a few Dead Certs that I'm sure will be on everyone elses list as well (although I have done the Fat Cat so may miss that one due to the trek if it means I can fit in another couple). I will want to have a wander round as well (Castle/Cathedral etc) so may break the day into 3 - Pubs/Sightseeing/Pubs. I can't remember whether they are reserved seats on the train so not sure where when to meet up. If anyone fancies a pre-journey early pint I'm happy to get to Liverpool Street area for a swift pint - Hamilton Hall does look like the best choice though! Otherwise it will be on the train or at Norwich station.
    Sounds good, Roger. My train gets to London Bridge at 08:45; I'll stroll over to Liverpool Street and expect to be there for 09:05 or so. I'm happy to hang around near the barrier till about 09:20, but then I'll head on to the train. My seats are unreserved, so I daresay yours are too. Shall we say 2nd carriage from the front?
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Hope to get to the Hamilton Hall at about 09:05 (or 09:10...).

My seats are unreserved also. 2nd carriage from the front it is. Currently at Greenwich - ETA Cannon St 8.45 - Will get to Hamilton Hall hopefully around 9/9.05 for an aperitif!.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

So how did the intrepid PuG team get on in Norwich ? Or should I take no news as good news

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Maybe they're still there?
    I'm going 14th, but just for the day, so will need to cherry-pick select pubs (as a prequel to a fuller visit another time).

I'm piecing together a full report that I will hopefully post tomorrow - has been a busy weekend! In short, it was rather good!

it was rather good!
    Indeed - a fine city, with many great pubs, some good beer, at least one brewery, a cathedral and a castle and just not enough time to do all of it thoroughly in 8 1/2 hours (though we tried our best).

An excellent day in Norwich on Friday with RP Adam and Paul of Horsham. First met RPA at the Hamilton Hall for a pre-journey ‘Spoons Fest pint before boarding the train where PoH had grabbed a table. We compared our 15 strong pub lists and found out that very few crossed over so an interesting crawl was on the cards.

Having upset most of the quiet carriage we arrived at 11.30 and headed straight for the Coach & Horses, home of the Chalk Hill Brewery where we sampled not just the beers but had an impromptu tour of the brewery (it didn’t take long!).

Next stop was the Ketts Tavern (via a couple of closed pubs along the way that need PG removal although RPA grabbed a couple of snaps for posterity). The Ketts had a good selection iof Norwich Bear beers, RPA & I going for the Classic whilst PoH went for a Pooh!

Along the ring road to the Cottage where we found a good selection of regular, guest and local beers as well as a sizeable but friendly hound blocking the doorway. A dose of Ole Slewfoot Orange Blossom Special for me here.

The Kings Head was next with another hefty ale selection, a Winter’s KHB being my preferred choice. PoH indulged in some experimental silhouette photography that seemed to impress the locals.

With hunger pains setting in we just happened to be walking past the Glasshouse ‘Spoons so a few budget burgers and another festival ale (unusually for ‘Spoons, racked up on stillage away from the bar) before having a wander around the Cathedral grounds and the Castle (which was unfortunately shut by the time we got there. We managed to lose RPA somewhere along the way but PoH and I went in a fruitless search for the Walnut Tree Shades before a quick phone call revealed that RPA had absconded to the Bell for a sneaky pint so an emergency ‘Spoons festival pint no 3 of the day was shifted as we regrouped.

After a prolonged search we finally located the Walnut Tree Shades, not the best beer selection of the day but the Humpty Dumpty Little Sharpie kept me going for half an hour.

RPA had a train to catch so departed leaving PoH and I to stagger along to the Champion where another 9 ales (and a cider) confronted us along with the local DJ who seemed to have better taste in beer than music. After an Oldershaw Heavenly Blond it was decided to risk no more than 1 more pub in the allotted time so we chose 2 pubs for the price of 1 in the Gardeners Arms a.k.a. the Murderers. Since the pub has 2 identities I though it reasonable to have 2 pints, the Maulden Cickoo and their own Murderers Ale.

Slightly worse for wear we managed to get the scheduled train before finally arriving back at Liverpool Street at around something o’clock.

Between us we had around 25 pubs on our list from which we managed 9 so I think there is plenty of scope for a return visit, or 2.

PoH indulged in some experimental silhouette photography that seemed to impress the locals.
    Those pictures on my flickr pages

Between us we had around 25 pubs on our list from which we managed 9 so I think there is plenty of scope for a return visit, or 2.
    Oh yes - I'm up for that alright!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Some bloggers often view CAMRA as some kind of official body that has the power to regulate the production and sale of beer in the UK, rather than a volunteer organisation of almost 135,000 piss artists, most of whom are, perhaps, in it for the JDW vouchers and free entry to beer festivals.
    CAMRA Members Online Panel – Survey Results 1

Thank you to the 2,150 members of the Online Panel that completed the first survey that was issued at the end of January.

There were some very interesting findings from this survey that are helping us to create a new membership benefits package that will be launched later in the year and also helping us decide on what merchandise to produce.

Here are some top line results from the survey:

92% stressed they would like the £20’s worth of JD Wetherspoon real ale vouchers to continue as part of the membership

75% of the panel said they would like Brewery Excursions included as a membership benefit

Last edited by Quinno; 04-04-2012 at 15:15.