Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Norwich

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    I've had a quick look myself and would be interested in:
    The Duke of Wellington (unless too far)
    Fat Cat's a possible
    Cottage (10 ales on) sounds good
    Kett's Tavern (Norwich Bear brewery tap)
    King's Arms (Bateman's) although seems more southerly than the others

Any of these on Trainman's list?
    Yes, all except Cottage, probably because my list has only had minor tweakage since creation in '07(!), & Cottage seems to have become Mauldons since then, (I've been to t'other in Sudbury).
    Don't know how many you'll have time for, but Trafford Arms (not a name I find easy to recommend!!), Kings Head (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...d-Norwich.html), Coach & Horses, brewpub & close to station (http://www.thecoachthorperoad.co.uk/index.html), seem to be ones to include.

Some of mine were further out, though the centre is a little way from the station so the extra distance may not be excessive, I haven't really mapped it out. I'll send you my list, you may find more of a chink in your schedule (than Roger!) for perusal...

http://traffordarms.co.uk/

Looks like Trafford and (this) Coach&Horses not listed on PuG, so maybe 'must-visits' to add profile?
    Last edited by trainman; 27-03-2012 at 12:35.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I believe the actual argument from the blogosphere is that CAMRA has had its day and is now pointless because "cask is saved - rejoice" and that CAMRA refuses to move with the times and support "Craft Beer" or even "Craft Keg".

This is usually heard from, amongst others, disaffected micro brewers who don't think they're getting enough free advertising from CAMRA or certain brewers who find it useful from a marketing angle to be anti-CAMRA. Some bloggers often view CAMRA as some kind of official body that has the power to regulate the production and sale of beer in the UK, rather than a volunteer organisation of almost 135,000 piss artists, most of whom are, perhaps, in it for the JDW vouchers and free entry to beer festivals.

Being an old git I too remember the bad old days of a rising sea of keg and little or no choice (the Norfolk beer desert being the prime example) so I am thankful for CAMRA's past victories and look forward to new ones hopefully on the neo-pro and beer tax fronts.
    If CAMRA want to expand their area of influence, I would have thought it would make sense to support other good beer - regardless of dispense method - rather than start supporting ciders, perries or antiquated pubs that no-one cares about. They are stuck in the 1970s and need to move with the times. Some of the best beers I've had this year have been keg, 5AM Saint, Punk IPA and Ruination IPA. Anyone under 35 can go to Foley's or Port Street Beer House or any of the Taps and drink cask or keg, they really don't mind so long as it is good beer. CAMRA's head-in-the-sand attitude towards expanding their beer remit despite being willing to expand it for apple or pear based drinks shows they are an organisation fighting yesterday's cause rather than assessing the situation as it is now and responding. We've moved on from the 1970s even if CAMRA hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    If CAMRA want to expand their area of influence, I would have thought it would make sense to support other good beer - regardless of dispense method - rather than start supporting ciders, perries or antiquated pubs that no-one cares about. They are stuck in the 1970s and need to move with the times. Some of the best beers I've had this year have been keg, 5AM Saint, Punk IPA and Ruination IPA. Anyone under 35 can go to Foley's or Port Street Beer House or any of the Taps and drink cask or keg, they really don't mind so long as it is good beer. CAMRA's head-in-the-sand attitude towards expanding their beer remit despite being willing to expand it for apple or pear based drinks shows they are an organisation fighting yesterday's cause rather than assessing the situation as it is now and responding. We've moved on from the 1970s even if CAMRA hasn't.
    CAMRA is the Campaign for Real Ale. Keg isn't real ale therefore why would CAMRA want to promote it?

Why don't you set up the Campaign for Fizzy, Cold, Dead, Overpriced, Keg?

There's obviously a gap in the market.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    CAMRA is the Campaign for Real Ale. Keg isn't real ale therefore why would CAMRA want to promote it?
    :
    Why do they care about ciders, perries and pubs that no-one visits then

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Why do they care about .......... pubs that no-one visits then
    That's what Pubsgalore is for

Why do they care about ciders, perries and pubs that no-one visits then
    They care about Real cider and Real Perry, they don't give a stuff about Strongbow or Kopperberg.

They campaign for pubs so that Al 10000 can still go in them.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I'll stay on me own

Why do they care about pubs that no-one visits then
    People do visit normal pubs,you happen to live in the centre of a large city that has got a few of these over priced craft bars.

If you went to a normal town or village you would see that the pubs there do still attract customers drinking normal boring brown beers.

Please read my review of Brewdogs new Nottingham pub i dont know if this is a craft pub but i do know that i was charged a lot for a drink,i may have said the wrong price it could have been more expensive at £1.75 for a third of a pint,i got confused about this when i was picking myself up from the floor.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    They care about Real cider and Real Perry, they don't give a stuff about Strongbow or Kopperberg.

They campaign for pubs so that Al 10000 can still go in them.
    CAMRA is the Campaign for Real Ale. Neither perry nor cider is real ale therefore why would CAMRA want to promote it?

CAMRA is the Campaign for Real Ale. Neither perry nor cider is real ale therefore why would CAMRA want to promote it?
    I think the answer is in the "Real"!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

That would be because a member proposed it should be promoted in a motion at a previous annual conference and that motion was passed so becoming CAMRA policy.

Two motions regarding "craft" stuff will be debated at the forthcoming conference in April. Tandleman has blogged about it here. Personally I expect them to be defeated purely on the grounds of "craft" being a meaningless term in a UK context. There's endless tedious drivel about this in the blogosphere.