Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Norwich

I'm booked for the 9.30 out and the 20.00 back. Now to work out the "must do's"!

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Table for 4 then, on the 09:30!

I'm sure that, if we all throw a few pubs into the ring, we'll come up with a good selection for splendid afternoon out.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Trainman sent me a list of 17 and I've added a few to it. Need to sit down tomorrow and do a bit of filtering!

National Express East Anglia have extended the £5 offer for another week so, if you would like to join us, you have until midnight Friday to book.

Do you think Adrian Tierney-Jones been reading our forums?

http://maltworms.blogspot.com/2012/0...n-weekend.html

If anyone thinks that CAMRA is a waste of space just look at Norwich. "Back in the day" when I knew that Fine City,there were only two known outlets for real ale-The Wildman in Bedford hill, selling Tolly Cobbold, and The Maid's Head Hotel in Tombland , selling Adnams on gravity, though that was really a special occasion venue. As for the rest, wall to wall Grotneys, leavened with the occasional Courage or Whitbread pub. It was grand when the Grotney's draymen went on strike, as enterprising landlords would put a pin of Greene King on the bar.
    You youngsters-don't know yer born...
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

I believe the actual argument from the blogosphere is that CAMRA has had its day and is now pointless because "cask is saved - rejoice" and that CAMRA refuses to move with the times and support "Craft Beer" or even "Craft Keg".

This is usually heard from, amongst others, disaffected micro brewers who don't think they're getting enough free advertising from CAMRA or certain brewers who find it useful from a marketing angle to be anti-CAMRA. Some bloggers often view CAMRA as some kind of official body that has the power to regulate the production and sale of beer in the UK, rather than a volunteer organisation of almost 135,000 piss artists, most of whom are, perhaps, in it for the JDW vouchers and free entry to beer festivals.

Being an old git I too remember the bad old days of a rising sea of keg and little or no choice (the Norfolk beer desert being the prime example) so I am thankful for CAMRA's past victories and look forward to new ones hopefully on the neo-pro and beer tax fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I believe the actual argument from the blogosphere is that CAMRA has had its day and is now pointless because "cask is saved - rejoice" and that CAMRA refuses to move with the times and support "Craft Beer" or even "Craft Keg".

This is usually heard from, amongst others, disaffected micro brewers who don't think they're getting enough free advertising from CAMRA or certain brewers who find it useful from a marketing angle to be anti-CAMRA. Some bloggers often view CAMRA as some kind of official body that has the power to regulate the production and sale of beer in the UK, rather than a volunteer organisation of almost 135,000 piss artists, most of whom are, perhaps, in it for the JDW vouchers and free entry to beer festivals.

Being an old git I too remember the bad old days of a rising sea of keg and little or no choice (the Norfolk beer desert being the prime example) so I am thankful for CAMRA's past victories and look forward to new ones hopefully on the neo-pro and beer tax fronts.
    Sir, if there was a clapping smiley I would post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Trainman sent me a list of 17 and I've added a few to it. Need to sit down tomorrow and do a bit of filtering!
    And how is that list looking, Roger? How close to the 2012 target of 366 new pubs do you think you will have reached by 8.00 on Friday?

I've had a quick look myself and would be interested in:
    The Duke of Wellington (unless too far)
    Fat Cat's a possible
    Cottage (10 ales on) sounds good
    Kett's Tavern (Norwich Bear brewery tap)
    King's Arms (Bateman's) although seems more southerly than the others

Actually, the more I investigate, the more I seem to find! Any of these on Trainman's list? Any other recommendations from anyone? I see that Alan Winfield has posted a crawl, although even Roger may find the scope a little daunting!

The city does see to be a little light on coverage here. Whether I'll be in any position to put that right after the event, I wouldn't like to say (although I think I know how things are likely to go).

I have been pre-occupied with Huddersfield so not had a big chance to sort out my intended destinations for Friday yet. With the Spurs game rearranged for tonight I will have to do some last minute research tomorrow and advise accordingly.