Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Norwich

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    There's endless tedious drivel about this in the blogosphere.
    And on here I'm afraid.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    That would be because a member proposed it should be promoted in a motion at a previous annual conference and that motion was passed so becoming CAMRA policy.

Two motions regarding "craft" stuff will be debated at the forthcoming conference in April. Tandleman has blogged about it here. Personally I expect them to be defeated purely on the grounds of "craft" being a meaningless term in a UK context. There's endless tedious drivel about this in the blogosphere.
    Aren't all the conferences and meetings midweek? So generally count against the younger members who are likely to be working or looking after family when these decisions are taken. If I have a day off the last thing I want to be doing is sitting in a stuffy room debating about what is real ale. "Craft" is only meaningless if you believe there is no way to discriminate between good and bad beer.

Closer to the original purpose of the thread, are there any pubs around Liverpool Street (apart from the Hamilton Hall) open before the 09:30 leaves?

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Well, not that close, but possibly convenient for you, I believe the Market Porter has an early start. Then there's Smithfields Market - say, 15 minutes walk. Don't know if Spitalfields would justify an early opener these days.

Let us know how you get on (or maybe it will be obvious when we're on the train?).
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Aren't all the conferences and meetings midweek?
    AGM 2012 will be held FRIDAY 30th March - SUNDAY 1st April.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    "Craft" is only meaningless if you believe there is no way to discriminate between good and bad beer.
    Does that mean the Spinko definition of "Craft" is any good beer? As a number of bloggers have said "Craft" usually means "Beer I like from brewers I like", all very nice but just a bit woolly for any practical application.

Done my homework. Got a list of 15 but not intending to do them all - will generally fall in line with whatever els wants although I have a few Dead Certs that I'm sure will be on everyone elses list as well (although I have done the Fat Cat so may miss that one due to the trek if it means I can fit in another couple). I will want to have a wander round as well (Castle/Cathedral etc) so may break the day into 3 - Pubs/Sightseeing/Pubs. I can't remember whether they are reserved seats on the train so not sure where when to meet up. If anyone fancies a pre-journey early pint I'm happy to get to Liverpool Street area for a swift pint - Hamilton Hall does look like the best choice though! Otherwise it will be on the train or at Norwich station.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

When this thread started off about National Express - I thought you were going on the coach! So much for 'trainman', d'oh!
    I now feel, even more, that I'm missing out.
    And City play there 14Apr, so maybe could have got at least my outbound for a fiver. Grrr.

Crosse Keys opens 09:00, but with a 7/8 min walk to the station that may be an uncomfortably quick pint!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Crosse Keys opens 09:00, but with a 7/8 min walk to the station that may be an uncomfortably quick pint!
    The Hamilton Hall is 20 yards from the platforms and will do me for an uncomfortably quick 2 pints!

Going to Norwich soon for the first time in 25 years and looking forward to it already.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    When this thread started off about National Express - I thought you were going on the coach! So much for 'trainman', d'oh!
    I now feel, even more, that I'm missing out.
    And City play there 14Apr, so maybe could have got at least my outbound for a fiver. Grrr.
    Things aren't so bad, tm: Greater Anglia regularly advertise London - Norwich tickets at £8.00 - no idea of availability, but it must surely be possible to cobble together some sort of day out for less than £20 travel? Bit more expensive than that tomorrow, I'll grant you.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years