Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pubs Galore 2011 stats round up

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    True - but it might not be quite as bad as it appears. As Strongers said, there are people who are adding pubs that have been closed for many years (nothing wrong with that I hasten to add); and I suspect that PUG users generally are being a bit more assiduous in their efforts. So, to state the obvious, pubs being marked as closed last year isn't the same thing as pubs closing last year. Still not a good trend though.
    And there's double counting to consider - I can account for some which have closed and opened again and even a couple which have opened and closed twice over the last couple of years. And I guess I am as guilty as anyone of driving past a pub, noting the skips outside then requesting it marked "closed - refurbishment", then not passing that way for ages to discover whether it's back as a pub or become flats or a restaurant.

Interesting that we have added 3,859 pubs to the site. I wonder how many of these are new ventures rather than pubs that have been lurking around for years in some kind of Lost World scenario and how many more are out there awaiting discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Interesting that we have added 3,859 pubs to the site. I wonder how many of these are new ventures rather than pubs that have been lurking around for years in some kind of Lost World scenario and how many more are out there awaiting discovery.
    I suspect that there are loads lurking around in Northern Ireland and some of the more remote areas of Scotland.

I added a few last year even though we only went to Belfast, which is by far the best covered of all the NI towns & cities.

We might have to try Derry next time.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Could be hundreds especially in more rural counties , i keep uncovering new ones in Worcestershire , and Herefordshire looks pretty sparse compared with its neighbours , there must be loads in some towns , i deliver to Winsford and around half the pubs were not listed , how many other towns have only got a 50% listing

Keep on searching
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Rural Wales is another area where pubs have been and still are missing. Quite a few towns have had several pubs missing including ones that have been in national guides for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Could be hundreds especially in more rural counties , i keep uncovering new ones in Worcestershire , and Herefordshire looks pretty sparse compared with its neighbours , there must be loads in some towns , i deliver to Winsford and around half the pubs were not listed , how many other towns have only got a 50% listing

Keep on searching
    I agree, still a few lurking in Somerset & Dorset which i haven't got to / come across yet

London, Kent and Sussex seem to be very well covered as I rarely find a new pub these days.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

This Space For Hire

I seldom seem to find an unknown (proper) "pub" nowadays, but frequently come across new bars, or other establishments which ought to qualify that have sprung up. Of course they often disappear as quickly, which adds to the closure numbers.