Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pub Of The Month - January 2012

My POTM could have been any of these, really - all excellent in their own way:

Croydon - Green Dragon
    Edinburgh - Abbotsford (New Town), Bennets (Tollcross), Cloisters (Tollcross), Doric (Old Town), Holyrood 9A (Old Town)
    Foxton - Bridge 61
    Glasgow - Bon Accord (Charing Cross), Counting House (Central), Three Judges (Kelvinhall)

but I'll go for The Holyrood 9A because it was such a surprise, discovering an unreviewed bar with 20 beers on tap (albeit 16 being of the craft keg variety) having popped in on the off chance as I was passing...

Glass Half Empty

The ones that stood out for me this month were the Three Horseshoes in Sidlow, and two from my Canterbury weekend: La Trappiste, a great new Belgian beer bar I was able to add to the site, and the Unicorn, which gets it on account of the beer, the atmosphere, and the bar billiards table.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    My POTM could have been ...

Glasgow - Bon Accord (Charing Cross),

If it came to a vote I'd go with you on this one. I'd never heard of the Holyrood - definitely one to try next time I'm up in Edinburgh.

I think mine was Tapping the Admiral in Camden. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72375/ A super find in an area where I have done the pubs to death and ale choices are limited. Recently reopened after several years closure (it was the Trafalgar Tavern which I had never ventured into before), now has 8 ales with some interesting guests. Pleasant ambience. CAMRA discount. Reasonable Thai food. A newly discovered little nugget 5 mins walk from the Camden Lock/Market area. Will certainly make that a future destination pub when I am in the area as I quite often am.

Not many to choose from this month but, surprisingly, The Papermill in Apsley gets it for a warm fire and a cracking pint of Benghal Lancer.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

For a long time it looked like The York in Broomhill,a great pub, would top the poll ,but right at the end of the month was my first visit to The Craft Beer Co and that scooped POTM.

What with winter maintenance stoppages,severe water shortages and now freezing conditions it looks like boating related boozing may be suspended during February ,so some effort will have to be invested to find a good candidate POTM in Feb.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I think mine was Tapping the Admiral in Camden. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72375/ A super find in an area where I have done the pubs to death and ale choices are limited. Recently reopened after several years closure (it was the Trafalgar Tavern which I had never ventured into before), now has 8 ales with some interesting guests. Pleasant ambience. CAMRA discount. Reasonable Thai food. A newly discovered little nugget 5 mins walk from the Camden Lock/Market area. Will certainly make that a future destination pub when I am in the area as I quite often am.
    That's a useful steer Roger, and along with The Southampton Arms and Pineapple makes this a good neighbourhood for drinking.

Despite me thououghly enjoying a night out in Port Street Beer House, Common & Odd, which I've all visited regularly, January wasn't a great month for new pubs.

So for a change I'm going to go for a complete unsung hero.

I'm the first person to review The Black Horse Inn which doesn't really surprise me.

It's a proper commumity local and even though it's only got 1 cask ale I'm going to vote it my POTM.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas