Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Yet another pint glass story

Hybrid View

This Space For Hire

Default Yet another pint glass story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8495617.stm

Made of car windscreen glass by and large, and it will probably resemble drinking out of jam jars too.

It says "But the drinks industry will not be forced to introduce the new pint glasses, with the Home Office acknowledging the financial strain some pubs are under, " which I doubt. I suspect local authorities may well force the issue in some areas though it would be better than the plastic cups some places are forced to use, often for no discernible reason other than to irritate.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Ahhh, that explains the article I heard half of this morning on the Today program:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/8497520.stm

A pretty boring interview, although I am guessing the comment about it will keep your beer colder as being a benefit may be frowned upon round here

It is an odd one, having seen a glassing and knowing about a few others I can't help but think they are a good idea in some respects, but as you point out just another extra cost that the pubs will have to endure if they go forward with it.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Just done my daily blog update and noticed Tandleman had posted on the glasses. Basically questioning the stats.

Sadly I find the stats perfectly believable, even the cost to the NHS, plastic surgery isn't cheap. Where I suspect that the stats are massively distorted is that I am guessing that most glassing strangely don't happen in pubs. Certainly one I know of was just casually on the street with a bottle (which I suspect they would count) nothing to do with a pub.

Sounds to me like cutting off a horses legs, because some other horses kick. How about dropping the blade on those that resort to such violence, and comments such as pubs should police themselves, or it would cost too much, will get short thrift from me. Get rid of the daft laws that prevent police and the courts from dealing with the stupid sods, get the police on the streets.
    My local area is now policed by four officers. Two cardboard cops, one of whom is a slip of a girl, a policewoman and a bloke that turns up every now and then. Ridiculous!
    I'm going to have a Beast......cool off before this turns into a rant......
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

I'm with you on this RD - although as of yet there are no plans to make it compulsory for all pubs, although it could become part of the conditions of a license, as a very casual example a large city pub on match day. Prevention is better than cure, and all that.

The fights I have seen in pubs have involved anything to hand being used, glasses, bottles, billiard cues, chairs ,tables, even a one legged man swinging his aluminum crutch e in a dangerous manner . Women were deadly with hat pins now only seen at up market weddings.I wonder what the stats are on pub knifing s.
    One question...It may become illegal to serve beer etc in glasses but what about if you take your own glass and pour the served drink into it. Daft ? The folkies and morrismen carry their pewter tankards which I think taint the beer.... Not only that if a fight breaks out you have a glass handy.