Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Absent Apostrophes

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I meant should you put an apostrophe after your referral to the Norse Gods, but I think you answered it, you weren't appealing to them, merely referring to them.

Desperately trying to think what what be analogous to the Norse police in their mythology, the furies were Greek weren't they? I suppose arguably the Valkyries were Nordic Police, in which case you may feel free to bring as many as you like down on our heads

All this talk of pantheons has reminded me how much I am looking forward to the rerelease of Clash of the Titans later this year:
    Trailer link
    You have done it now , last time Valkyries were mentioned on a beer forum Arkwrite googled them and needed the nurse and tablets for a month

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    a hard working band of dedicated pubic servants.
    "hard working band of dedicated public servants" No, not sure about that one; could be an oxymoron I suppose.
    Re-read original quote - it wasn't the potential oxymoron which I was querying when I asked "Are you sure about that?" ...

I think that if the gods were plural, one might expect an identifier - so, for the sake of God (singular) "for God's sake", and for the sake of the Gods (plural) "for the Gods' sake"

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    AAAAARRGGGHHHH!!!!!....
    Maybe, but it's better than entertaining any football thread after this weekend...
    Last edited by trainman; 07-02-2010 at 19:59. Reason: Hmmm, perhaps you have due cause to lean toward footy

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Re-read original quote - it wasn't the potential oxymoron which I was querying when I asked "Are you sure about that?" ...

I think that if the gods were plural, one might expect an identifier - so, for the sake of God (singular) "for God's sake", and for the sake of the Gods (plural) "for the Gods' sake"
    OK, fair enough. Mea culpa - my typing's worse than my spelling!

I suppose it should be "for the Gods' sake" if one is referring to specific Gods, which would almost certainly be the case of course. Theoretically one could be referring to an indeterminate number of unspecified Gods, but that seems unlikely.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I suppose it should be "for the Gods' sake" if one is referring to specific Gods, which would almost certainly be the case of course. Theoretically one could be referring to an indeterminate number of unspecified Gods, but that seems unlikely.
    I'm agnostic, so it works for me.

Well, we've not been here for a while!
    Passing this place, yesterday, had me making a mental note to dig up this thread to ask why, why, why?

Passing this place, yesterday, had me making a mental note to dig up this thread to ask why, why, why?
    It's wrong on so many levels (but so is farting in a lift...)

This Space For Hire

It belongs to Mr The Two Half, nice chap. However don't say 'It's a game of two halves" when he plays chess with his brother, he's heard it all before.