Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Absent Apostrophes

Default Absent Apostrophes

Hi Conrad - you may not be fussed about these sort of things, but just in case you are........

On each pub's page there is a photograph window that invites one to "View all this pubs pictures". This should, of course, read "View all this pub's pictures". You may already be aware of this, but as my search of the forum didn't throw up anything on apostrophes I decided to give it a whirl! In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if it fell in the "too difficult" category.

Rex

Please, Rex, NO!!!! I'm already getting deja vu. I can't forget a previous forum's threads' children's discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Please, Rex, NO!!!! I'm already getting deja vu. I can't forget a previous forum's threads' children's discussions.
    Classic, ETA, classic! It was fun, wasn't it? Honestly, all I'm doing is pointing out an omission to Conrad. It's the end of the matter as far as I'm concerned. I didn't even offer an opinion as to whether he should do anything about it!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Hi Conrad - you may not be fussed about these sort of things, but just in case you are........

On each pub's page there is a photograph window that invites one to "View all this pubs pictures". This should, of course, read "View all this pub's pictures". You may already be aware of this, but as my search of the forum didn't throw up anything on apostrophes I decided to give it a whirl! In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if it fell in the "too difficult" category.

Rex
    No one expects the:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apostrophepolicet-shirt_2_112189_navy_m.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	158

I should have guessed they would be along though

Honestly I had no idea, I am terrible with apostrophes (should that have an apostrophe?) and as such tend to just leave them out when in doubt.

No problem with correcting it where people spot it though, so I have been off reading up on them and do agree that the pictures belong to the pub so there should be an apostrophe there, and hopefully now is

Thanks for that.

Thanks, Conrad, for the plug for the little known Apostrophe Police. As you would expect, it is staffed by a hard working band of dedicated pubic servants. It is obviously a publicly funded QANGO equipped with much needed swingeing powers of search and arrest - headed up I believe by retired Chief Constable Sir Mustapha Colon, who is clearly cheap at the price on his miserly salary of £750K per annum. However, I was disappointed that in the tagline to its logo "Its a matter of principle", they have failed to spell the first word correctly as "it's". Looks like a "Caeser's wife" scenario.You can rest assured that I shall be raising this issue when I next see Sir Mustapha at our golf club!

OK ETA, I'm finished now. No need to give me another rollicking! Just trying to inject an element of humour into an otherwise fairly dull subject!

This thread bought me to this.. http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/510437-...rom-road-signs

It caused uproar and was on local nespapers headlines.

Personally I am not bothered with Apostrophe and I really don't care about what's wrong or right..

Hoppy
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

It's a funny old one I hate text speak and am normally a stickler for trying to get my writing as correct as possible, but when it comes to apostrophes I just cannot be bothered - apart from where they are used for contractions, I think they will just slowly disappear. I have no problem with getting things right though, when it is wrong it will niggle some people, whereas it will probably niggle no one if you get it right.

Also loving the humour in this thread though.

Thanks for that Hoppy. I'm pretty sure that I had heard about this before, but it might have been somewhere other than Birmingham.

Where I think the existence or not of apostrophes is relevant is in pub names. Is it The Kings Head or the The King's Head? In my view the proper name of the pub should be decided by what it says on the pub sign - if you look above the pub and it says "The Kings Head" then it is The Kings Head - if it says "The King's Head" then it's The King's Head. This becomes relevant when using a search feature. When searching for a pub in Another Place it made a difference whether or not you inserted an apostrophe. I tended to ignore apostrophes because the search feature tended to produce results more often that way.

So, maybe there is a case for standardisation. But for goodness sake don't tell any of my chums from the Apostrophe Police that I said that, or I'll never get another invite to their Christmas party at the Apostrophile's Arms!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Just did a quick check of our search, it needs a little more tuning by me at some point, I'll make a note of it to look at. For the moment though it will match {King's} if you miss the apostrophe, but if you add it it will not match {Kings}. It should work either way really.

Damn another bug to add to my list

Sorry Conrad.. Seems I am buggering you all day so apologise!

Er.. I noticed you have King's Heath, Brum and King's Norton, Brum in your pub listings. It is common mistake and they never had apostrophe in their names. If you dont believe me.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_Heath and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_Norton..

This will be my last post in this thread, I promise!

Hoppy
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/