Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What brought Pubs Galore to your attention?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Imagine Conrad and Dave had no interest in this site other than for financial gain and they were employed by a company that was making more money from a gay match-making website. Suddenly Maldenman changing a pub's name becomes second fiddle to jeremy changing gender preference.
    I don't think the dating sites ever got off the ground. He's into bed and breakfast guides now. However I'm surprised it's still in business considering recent difficulties with the Revenue, an organisation you mess with at your peril.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Imagine Conrad and Dave had no interest in this site other than for financial gain and they were employed by a company that was making more money from a gay match-making website. Suddenly Maldenman changing a pub's name becomes second fiddle to jeremy changing gender preference.
    I had to read that twice Strongers!!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I did reviews on BITE for a while before looking round and discoverinbg forums. I just read them for some time before taking the plunge and contributing, and at first I quite liked the banter.

Something changed. I did not enjoy reading them anymore, so constructed a farewell message saying goodbye, and someone suggested Pubs Galore, and I came over then. I have no regrets as I love being part of this group. I still have BITE around just in case somewhere I am looking for isn't here yet, but don't go into it very often.

This site is the best for me, and deserves full recognition.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I would like to ask one question from all the ex bite users, How do what i think seem pretty normal and decent pub reviewers get Banned from bite.
    From memory, and my own bias - These bans were all earned from the bite forum which is now gone. The owner of bite has a very different attitude to running the site from us over here and was getting more than a little frustrated at some of the suggestions being made by the members about how he could improve the site (or indeed even run it). So a few people were banned for speaking their minds and it started an avalanche where people were appropriately indignant about the stupid bans.

Strongers comments relate to the fact that the owner of the site also runs other sites including a match making one.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Strongers comments relate to the fact that the owner of the site also runs other sites including a match making one.
    I thought cheap ciggie lighters had all but done away with matches? Not a smoker so could be wrong

This Space For Hire

From memory, and my own bias - These bans were all earned from the bite forum which is now gone. The owner of bite has a very different attitude to running the site from us over here and was getting more than a little frustrated at some of the suggestions being made by the members about how he could improve the site (or indeed even run it). So a few people were banned for speaking their minds and it started an avalanche where people were appropriately indignant about the stupid bans.

The main gripe was over persistent and uncontrolled trolling on the main site and the forums by what looked like just a very few individuals. It got to the stage where some regular contributors couldn't post anything without enduring a debilitating slagging off. Bite's owner was unwilling or unable or couldn't be bothered to sort it out and preferred to ban anyone who suggested that he might get a grip on things.

With most people saying they arrived here from BiTe, I thought I would have a look at my home town of Corwen on bItE.
    None of the five central pubs are listed. The six pubs they do list are up to 15 miles away! and three of them are closed. Other closer pubs are missing, no interactive maps to show the spread of pubs, and if there are any photos, someone will have to send me instructions on how to find them! It is in a more sorry state than some ot the simple pub directory sites. I think I will go down to the history section in the local library for an update.

Update: Oh, and 188 pubs in Clwyd? A certain "other" site thinks there are 479! Maybe they counted them wrongly
    Last edited by AlanH; 30-12-2011 at 22:31.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Default Reason for joining PG

Several reasons I suppose, I found a site where there's a great bunch of people who enjoy a proper pub and respect a good pint of beer. Other sites were just there to slag everything and moan too much about being short changed 10p or their chips were a bit over done.
    Initially PG helped me find some fab pubs when on a visit to Brum, lots of fotos and a good map to find them and also what ales were on offer and was it a chav pub or a goodun. My first review was the 21st Feb 2010 the City Tav.

The quest to send like minded people to a good old boozer continues.
    Last edited by Real Ale Ray; 31-12-2011 at 16:37.

I'll stay on me own

Thanks for that Conrad,

I am now glad that i didnt start reviewing pubs sooner than i did after hearing about the goings on on that site.