Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What brought Pubs Galore to your attention?

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I'm another ex-Biter, moved over with lots of others, but not before deliberately getting myself banned over there first!

Seeing the direction the other place was going I looked at most review sites and found what was and remains easily the best, A&H and Soupy having found it before me also helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    I'm another ex-Biter, moved over with lots of others, but not before deliberately getting myself banned over there first!
    I'm proud to say I also got myself banned and they anonymised my reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Seeing the direction the other place was going...
    yes, downhill. And from what I see on the odd occasion I peek over the parapet, it's still falling.

Thank you to all the regulars, moderators and admins here for making this a much more grown-up and enjoyable site. Happy New year!

I should recount my own experience, since it was me who asked the question. I was the office pub crawl researcher and I used to look at pub review websites occasionally. This led me to upload a few photos to BITE, one or two of which appeared within a few days but others took months or never appeared at all. After searching through Google I looked at the PG site and, although at the time it wasn't as populated as BITE, I added my photos that I had already taken to the same pubs on PG but this time the response was prompt and courteous. With that inspiration I decided to try to do my bit to put my home town on the map by making sure every pub listed under Walsall had a photo (and a few reviews where I could). It went from there: Birmingham, Lichfield, Cannock, holiday destinations etc.

Dave and Conrad's initial response made it seem more worthwhile and appreciated.

I wonder how long it will be before a regular and respected contributor joins the forum and says that their route into PG and the forum was from a business card they picked up in a pub (even if it was one that somebody left on a condom machine in the gents) or via one of the social networking sites.
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 26-12-2011 at 20:10.
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    yes, downhill. And from what I see on the odd occasion I peek over the parapet, it's still falling.

Thank you to all the regulars, moderators and admins here for making this a much more grown-up and enjoyable site. Happy New year!
    It is pretty dire there now-I was having a look tonight-there was a troll calling himself Newton Lad. Plus ca change. I followed the first intrepid wave.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I've tried to persuade Lee to come and join us a couple of times but without success it seems.

Glass Half Empty

I used to look up pubs over on the dark side, and though I'd been thinking about contributing for some time I never actually did, not least because I really didn't want to get involved in the tit for tat silliness. PuG didn't seem to have any such problems so it was fairly easy to decide to get involved with this one instead, especially having seen the better BITE reviewers moving over.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

I took the Old Blue route and am pleased to have made a small impression on the site, though also astonished at the immense contributions others have made in a much shorter period!

I also echo Andy Ven's comments about Dave & Conrad.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    I've tried to persuade Lee to come and join us a couple of times but without success it seems.
    So did I. He's on my Facebook friend list and recently uploaded a photo of a pint in a BITE beer glass so it would seem his loyalty is still yet to be sufficiently eroded.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    I should recount my own experience, I used to look at pub review websites occasionally. This led me to upload a few photos to BITE, one or two of which appeared within a few days but others took months or never appeared at all. After searching through Google I looked at the PG site and, although at the time it wasn't as populated as BITE, I added my photos that I had already taken to the same pubs on PG but this time the response was prompt and courteous. With that inspiration I decided to try to do my bit to put my home town on the map by making sure every pub listed under Walsall had a photo (and a few reviews where I could). It went from there: Birmingham, Lichfield, Cannock, holiday destinations etc.

Dave and Conrad's initial response made it seem more worthwhile and appreciated.
    Very much my experience, but I was checking out pubs in Hungerford area [visiting late mother] but in my case I decided to photograph all Portsmouth / Southsea pubs, plus others local in South East Hants or West Sussex /holiday destinations etc when in area.

I am more a photographer than reviewer, but I do get a lot of pleasure from getting a good photo, and going in the strange pub to check it over

Not got them all yet, I still find the odd one I missed
    Last edited by Farway; 27-12-2011 at 13:53.