Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pub Etiquette in foreign countries

Whilst traveling up through Italy some years ago I soon figured out never to order anything without seeing a menu. 500% mark up for the dumb tourists. I suppose it is the same in London for the unsuspecting.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I'll stay on me own

I have always hit problems when drinking anywhere but England or Wales.

When we went in a bar in Holland me and my mate were asked if we wanted to have a tab this sounded a good idea at the time but 7 hours later when we were half pissed and we got a very large bar bill it spoilt our session having to shell out a load of money.

When in Glasgow with my wife we went in what looked like a normal pub in the city centre,the pub was empty and i went to the bar and asked for a pint and half of heavy only to be told to take a seat and order which i did'nt take to kindly too,after a bit of an argument we went and sat down the bloke behind the bar followed us and then said what would you like to drink i said i have just f ing asked you at the bar have you got a short memory.
    He did'nt look that chuffed with us.

When in a grotty back street bar in the hague which was run by Turkish people for Turkish people me and my mate hit big problems after drinking in there for about 8 hours.
    The morning statred ok got in bar about 7.00 Sunday morning and ordered two heinekens these came in bottles ouf of a fridge there were no draught beers here.
    After two drinks the bar chap said you stay drinks will be cheaper so we stayed and started going for it in a big way,our large round table was full of empty bottles which they then took away and we then filled it up again.
    I was all going well untill about 2.00 in the afternoon when all the Turkish people who were in the pub started to give us funny stares,we did'nt know why untill we tried to order some more drinks and we were told no beer here,the local Turks were blameing us for drinking the bar dry so we had to make a quick getaway as they were getting more angry by the minute.

I hav'nt been abroad for years and it is probably a good job i dont.

This Space For Hire

Dunno what's been happening on all your visits but as a Real Ale Lout i think I will be taking a very steady head to the continent. Mamma mia. Foie gras no more