Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PONSONBY ARMS in Llangollen????????????????

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I have been watching progress of "The Smithfield". The large 'Bar' sign appeared a few weeks ago but progress has been slow. The nature of the sign with reversed 'B' and circled 'A' suggests to me, a young persons late night venue with not much chance of decent beer but I hope I am wrong.
    Cheers i drive past most weeks on my way back from Ruthin and it was starting to bug me
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I am sure the pub could be viable with the right effort and attractions. It needs some attraction to get people to pass (or leave) the improved Bridge End which is a very popular due to its visible position at the end of the bridge (exactly what it says on the tin!!) even though it is on the wrong side of the water.
    Ironically, the last time I spoke to the landlord was on a Saturday afternoon, drinking in the Bridge End whilst his pub was closed (own goal?). A good way to turn a pub around is like they have done at the "other" Bridge End at Ruabon (a thread you have probably read on site) which changed from a shut down loss maker to semi finalist for National Pub of the Year by giving the punters what they want. Whether that is six Real Ales, Gastro food or topless barmaids I am sure it can be done. Dealing with Pubcos or Heiniken , well that is another problem!!!

Under moderation

Thanks Oggwyn (?)
    Is there a thread or site or whatever to help me find a viable pub somewhere in Northern England/Wales to run as a
    tenant without getting ripped off by companies like Pubco??

Any help in leiu of free drinks at my future establishment!

Mick the "I wish I could drink as much as I used to!"

Mick, you could always give this one a look. The Albion Inn

Up until 4 years ago it was in the GBG and had been for 9 consecutive years.

Then the landlord, Kevin & his wife Val split up and the pub was sold to Punch.

There's a Bistro attached with about 20 seats which also used to be very good. We dined there many times.

It's had a couple fo poor landlords since then who couldn't keep decent beer, so most of the regulars left.

Punch have been touting it around for a couple of months now. It's got loads of potential for the right person.

Ironically Kevin & Val are now back together again and are running a Timothy Taylors tied house.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Couple of links ,

Bit of advice http://www.startups.co.uk/pub_1.html

Pubs for mostly freehold http://www.fleurets.com/pubs/pubs-for-sale.asp

Lot of leasehold http://www.barzone.co.uk/jobtype-38....FcMMtAodp3YHmA its a bit of a trawl but there are some very good pubs available

If you stick "running a pub " in Google most of the big Pubcos sites come up , all have lists of pubs available
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Under moderation

Thanks guys, l'll pursue my quest again in the New Year, but as l found the pub in the link below only yesterday,
    l now have a piece of England abroad to while away those long Winter nights!

If you go to the trouble of reading the history of the INN, you'll find it interesting, especially as it's actually 100yrs old
    (which is old for America!_) the Guiness is $3 a pint during happy hour (3-6pm) which is about a quid!!!
    All other GB beers are unfortunately in bottles (Speckled Hen/Boddies/Newcy broon/Fullers IPA/etc) but there is a good brewery that's opened up recently
    that does a very nice range of draught beers, including of all things a nut-brown-ale!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.oldenglishinnhollister.com/ www.mothersbrewing.com
    Last edited by Britmick; 23-12-2011 at 20:48. Reason: spelt 2nd link wrong

Teetotal

Hi Mick.Going to have a look at the Ponsonby Arms in a view to manage it,from someone who lives outside the area it looks like a very good investment with the right people running it with experience and a lot of fresh ideas and drive.

mark

Latest news from Llangollen as reported on Chester & S Clwyd Camra forum

http://www.ponsonbyarms.com/

Certainly sounds good. I just the word "emporium" when talking about Real Ale.
    I hope it lives up to it's promise. Perhaps the owners have been inspired by the Bridge End at Ruabon (just 6 miles away) being the 1st Welsh winners of Camra National pub of the year.

Latest news from Llangollen as reported on Chester & S Clwyd Camra forum

http://www.ponsonbyarms.com/

Certainly sounds good. I just the word "emporium" when talking about Real Ale.
    I hope it lives up to it's promise. Perhaps the owners have been inspired by the Bridge End at Ruabon (just 6 miles away) being the 1st Welsh winners of Camra National pub of the year.
    The new owners of the Ponsonby Arms get the keys this week ending this pubs period of uncertainty. The cask ale will be flowing very soon.
    As they also own, and run, The Sun Inn from the same town, serving six changing cask beers, we know what to expect!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

The new owners of the Ponsonby Arms get the keys this week ending this pubs period of uncertainty. The cask ale will be flowing very soon.
    As they also own, and run, The Sun Inn from the same town, serving six changing cask beers, we know what to expect!
    This all looks very good news.I was thinking of boating up to Llangollen next year,it's been a long time since I have been over Pontcysyllte,so good to hear there will be some decent ale at the end of the journey.