Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

Not seen real ale in O'Neil'
    s it seems more common lagers and Guinness. They are even short on any Irish smooth beers. Popped in to the one in Worcester and shared a cheap bottle of wine on occasion but can see no reason to visit there now.
    I have always found it prudent never to criticize another drinkers choice of refreshment.He is the one drinking it whether I think its rubbish or not and there is always the chance he may take offence and hit me with part of it.

Be at Peace with your fellow drinkers, theres enough choice for everybody.

Absolutely with you Ark.

I like different bars and pubs depending on my mood. White Horse pub had 10 ales on. Service fine, beer good nick, the works. With a few friends it would have been great. On my own, I enjoyed a few other pubs more, including a cocktail bar.

I was just surprised that she didn't know what cask ale was - I presumed the vast majority of the country knew what it was.

Just to add to the 'John Smith's Man' sub-threadSomewhen in the middle '90s, somewhere just off the Pennine Way, the delivery truck I was driving broke down in pub car park. 'Tis true, it did, all 28ton of it, right slap in the middle, and there I stayed for two days. Sleeper cab, nothing to do, lovely country to walk in and a real ale pub all in one place. The Landlord was a real ale man and had a steady stream of mainly guest ales coming out of six pumps.
    Second lunch time, the guvnor and I were yarning away the time, as you do, when he breaks of and pulls a half of Mr Smiths finest. In comes an old boy, pulls up a stool, puts his money down and necks it in one, then he orders another. Half an hour later he's gone.
    "Saddest man in village" sez the landlord "He'll be back, round half seven, and have a pint. Always Smiths, never tried anything else in all time I've been here. Never does anything, never speaks to anyone. Saddest man in village" He didn't even seem to like it. To be fair that was cask, not keg, and it was very popular in those days. I wish I could remember where that pub was..........
    Last edited by runningdog; 09-02-2010 at 17:09. Reason: Fingers
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    Review to follow, but went in Oneils in Oxford on my tour last night (never been in one before, doubt I will again). No HPs. In case there was another bar or I was missing something, I asked the girl behind the bar if they serve cask ale.
    I found this out in the Station Inn in Bloody Bognor, despite a huge sign on exterior wall claiming "Traditional Ales", only to find John Smith's tap was ll they had, at least publican sounded genuinely sorry he could not offer anything else

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/39416/

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I found this out in the Station Inn in Bloody Bognor, despite a huge sign on exterior wall claiming "Traditional Ales", only to find John Smith's tap was ll they had, at least publican sounded genuinely sorry he could not offer anything else

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/39416/
    Indeedy Farway

I have noted this very fact on a couple of my reports - The Vic in Scarboro being one that sticks out

Traditional fayre, my a**e
    MILD:

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    I wish I could remember where that pub was..........
    Why's that runningdog, you don't think the truck might still be there do you

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    before gigs in the Fleece, always been a nice pleasant pub next door to my favourite venue in Bristol, the Fleece & Firkin (fond memories of watching Tim Booth and All About Eve there).
    Ahh, the Fleece. Being a Bristol lad myself I went in there on occasion, god it was crap being a music fan in Bristol in the mid-90's.

I did get to see Beth Orton in there though, during her high point 'twixt Trailer Park and Central Reservation.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    "What a f**kin' waste of time this place is, we're going to the Brickcroft, they have good beer there" (a large Working Mens Club across the road)As they leave a loud burst of laughter follows them.
    Depressingly familiar, eh ROB?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    .... evokes/compounds the impression of insular yorkies; summat y'all seem most proud of...

ps. I vaguely recall your superb phrase 'A day outta Yorkshire is a day wasted', or summat to that effect.
    I think the dialect word for that insularity is 'mussen-ness' as favoured by the Barnsley Bard- Ian Mc Millan. Although the saying made me smile it's not mine I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    I have always found it prudent never to criticize another drinkers choice of refreshment.He is the one drinking it whether I think its rubbish or not and there is always the chance he may take offence and hit me with part of it.
    You're absolutely right, but just as I don't criticise I don't expect to be criticised.

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    "Saddest man in village" sez the landlord "He'll be back, round half seven, and have a pint. Always Smiths, never tried anything else in all time I've been here. Never does anything, never speaks to anyone. Saddest man in village" He didn't even seem to like it.
    There's probably an old boy like that in every village in the county. What made me laugh was the last sentence. Unmistakably Yorkshire in character.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

What I meant to say A&H was I dont believe anyone has the right to pick holes in anyones choice of drink. If you are on a crawl with mates you may be critical of whats in your glass and they of theirs.If someone wants to to drink a pink concoction with all the sparklers and mini umbrella out of whatever sort of glass then I don't expect a word out of any of you. So There.

I never felt so angry in The Bishop Vessey, Boldmere (near Sutton Coldfield) last night..

I walked up to the bar, waited patiently for my turn and it was my turn to order then..

From nowhere, a man simply walked to the bar and shouted "PINT OF RUDDLES!" to only barmaid in bar. Even it was my turn, barmaid simply gave me "sorry" look and poured pint of ruddles.. That man is regular and seems don't have a care in the world about other people waiting for their turn..

When man got his pint and simply walked to his drinking "posse" I got my pint and sat down sulking..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/