Ads not shown when logged in
Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Jab effects seem to be pot luck.

Been to The Baring (Arms) twice and thought it was a half decent boozer, is it still?
    There is a way to avoid the side effects

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I've found this quite often (and not just recently), but - and I'm tempting fate here - a sensible chat usually resolves the issue quickly in my experience.
    This usually works, after a long pause when the staff finally click that if I have a pint two hours before Dan and Olivia arrive, I won't acquire squatters' rights.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    They use the excuse that they have to sanitise the table between customers. That takes as much as 30 seconds in some places.
    Pre plague, a squirt of cleaning was common practice (not in 'spoons obviously) after each departing customer. The modern practice is just Hygiene Theatre; the virus is airborne in aerosol form.

Back from a few days in Norwich and Ipswich. COVID seems to be a very hot topic down there and a good number of pubs were still fully enforcing a number of rules that became defunct a few weeks ago, table service in about 30-40% as well. That perhaps may help explain why so much of the cask was sub-GBG standard despite almost every pub we went in being GBG!

For sheer awfulness, the harridan shrieking at all incoming customers to put their masks on in The Dove Street Inn made our minds up to abandon our lukewarm slops and move on.
    Last edited by Quinno; 17-02-2023 at 14:02.

Have we had this one before: two people walk in and reserve 3 tables by throwing their coats over them, telling everyone that there’s a large group coming in, only to be joined an hour later by another couple with one child. One table - a 4 seater - reserved for the child. They then complain that my dogs are too close to the child. Said child then leaves its drink on the table and hogs the dartboard for the next hour.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

This Space For Hire

In Brewdog bars when you pay by card you have to click on a tip before you can pay even when you order at the bar.0% 5% 10% or 20%.You can guess which one I use.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    In Brewdog bars when you pay by card you have to click on a tip before you can pay even when you order at the bar.0% 5% 10% or 20%.You can guess which one I use.
    Not gonna do any.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Have we had this one before: two people walk in and reserve 3 tables by throwing their coats over them, telling everyone that there’s a large group coming in, only to be joined an hour later by another couple with one child. One table - a 4 seater - reserved for the child. They then complain that my dogs are too close to the child. Said child then leaves its drink on the table and hogs the dartboard for the next hour.
    Absolute twats! Proper customers don't need 'em, and nor does the pub, stay at home you fuckin pricks.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Must have been listed already, but pubs that do not adhere to opening hours.
    The Volunteer in Bristol is listed as 11pm on both whatpub and their own website, but actually stop serving at 22:30 and chuck out is 23:00.
    We discovered this only after taking a taxi there from the Highbury Vaults, which increased the 'disappointment' when welcomed with a deadpan, 'well, i've done the till now'. Absolute nonsense, as was the fact that he then threw 3 pints at us and refused to take payment leaving a very bad atmosphere all-round, exacerbated by a local telling him to fuck off when he couldn't get served (must admit I thought that was aimed at us as he stomped off).
    Anyone know how to get whatpub to correct the closing (serving) time?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Just scroll down to the bottom of th WP page and click on Fill In The Feedback Form, depends on the branch in question as to how quickly it's actioned.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Absolute twats! Proper customers don't need 'em, and nor does the pub, stay at home you fuckin pricks.
    Almost as bad are the couples who sit side-by-side on a banquette so that they can sit next to one another, yet at the same time hogging two tables.

Must have been listed already, but pubs that do not adhere to opening hours.
    The Volunteer in Bristol is listed as 11pm on both whatpub and their own website, but actually stop serving at 22:30 and chuck out is 23:00.
    We discovered this only after taking a taxi there from the Highbury Vaults, which increased the 'disappointment' when welcomed with a deadpan, 'well, i've done the till now'. Absolute nonsense, as was the fact that he then threw 3 pints at us and refused to take payment leaving a very bad atmosphere all-round, exacerbated by a local telling him to fuck off when he couldn't get served (must admit I thought that was aimed at us as he stomped off).
    I think some staff just shut early due to lack of customers which is just plain rude. What I've also seen recently are pubs that don't seem to understand licencing rules, ringing the bell at 22.00 on a weekday then shutting the bar at 22.20.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Not gonna do any.
    Yes. A new 'peril' when paying by card: the button to add a tip. The thing to avoid in general is ordering to table where they stick a 12.5% tab on your bill; sometimes staff use distraction techniques by coming over and saying 'Can I get you guys the same again?', then the tip kicks in .