Ads not shown when logged in
Page 58 of 66 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Another pub con:

You are sitting at the table enjoying your drink with friends and are nearly at the end of your pint. The barman comes over and asks "Can I get you the same again?" - what service and what service indeed when you get the bill with a 12.5% tip tacked on!
    I can assure you this would NEVER have happened in a JDW. It looks like it's another hazard of card payments.

This Space For Hire

Another pub con:

You are sitting at the table enjoying your drink with friends and are nearly at the end of your pint. The barman comes over and asks "Can I get you the same again?" - what service and what service indeed when you get the bill with a 12.5% tip tacked on!
    Similar happened to me when I was sitting with an empty glass. I was asked if I wanted another one.Why would I want another empty glass I said.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I can assure you this would NEVER have happened in a JDW. It looks like it's another hazard of card payments.
    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Similar happened to me when I was sitting with an empty glass. I was asked if I wanted another one.Why would I want another empty glass I said.
    I've only experienced this a few times and definitely not in your typical backstreet pub, rather in places that think they're a cut above the rest. One time if happened, it was a first for my mate but as it was his round and he can peel an orange in his pocket, I didn't warn him. When you're paying around £4.50 a pint, a round of three drinks with a 12.5% tip is a bit of a stinger!

I've only experienced this a few times and definitely not in your typical backstreet pub, rather in places that think they're a cut above the rest. One time if happened, it was a first for my mate but as it was his round and he can peel an orange in his pocket, I didn't warn him. When you're paying around £4.50 a pint, a round of three drinks with a 12.5% tip is a bit of a stinger!
    I'm not at all surprised to hear this. The pub trade has had its share of crooks for as long as I've been drinking. This is another wheeze to add to short measures, short changing, overcharging, adding slops back to the barrel and watering down the beer. I should add that keg beer wasn't immune from watering down or adding back slops. What goes on in pubs would not be tolerated in other sectors apart from perhaps banking.

This Space For Hire

Out of 58 pages I'm going to add one encountered tonight, and previously that I've not bothered to mention in this thread, which I have before come across over numerous years in same pub. Micropub 500m away from my house shuts and chucks you out ~22.00 due to licencing laws so move down to my local normal pub but as quiet on a Sunday night they've been putting chairs up on tables and ringing all the bells to get customers to go home so they can leave before 11. I appreciate opening hours are discretionary but trying to save a few quid and sack customers off because it's a slow Sunday takes the piss.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Out of 58 pages I'm going to add one encountered tonight, and previously that I've not bothered to mention in this thread, which I have before come across over numerous years in same pub. Micropub 500m away from my house shuts and chucks you out ~22.00 due to licencing laws so move down to my local normal pub but as quiet on a Sunday night they've been putting chairs up on tables and ringing all the bells to get customers to go home so they can leave before 11. I appreciate opening hours are discretionary but trying to save a few quid and sack customers off because it's a slow Sunday takes the piss.
    Unless it's a managed house I don't think you can do much here. I wonder if micropubs actually do get different licences to other places or whether the 10:00 closing is more an intention of how they will operate. Some of them do stay open until 11:00.

I wonder if micropubs actually do get different licences to other places or whether the 10:00 closing is more an intention of how they will operate. Some of them do stay open until 11:00.
    You can apply for longer hours with the intention of normally closing earlier, but if you apply for shorter hours you can't then randomly stop open longer.
    Come On You Hatters!

Just Missed the Round

I wonder if micropubs actually do get different licences to other places or whether the 10:00 closing is more an intention of how they will operate. Some of them do stay open until 11:00.
    As most micro pubs are in buildings that have never been pubs before, I wonder if you are more likely to be granted a licence if you say you will shut your doors at 10pm rather than 11pm, especially in areas that are mainly residential. I imagine it could reduce the objections from neighbours.

This Space For Hire

Unless it's a managed house I don't think you can do much here. I wonder if micropubs actually do get different licences to other places or whether the 10:00 closing is more an intention of how they will operate. Some of them do stay open until 11:00.
    Just had a look at one near me. Its licence lets it open 10 -11 (12 weekends) and stipulated "normal hours" are 10-11.30. It's open far less than that.

This Space For Hire

What goes on in pubs would not be tolerated in other sectors apart from perhaps banking.
    Or horse racing.