Ads not shown when logged in
Page 56 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Again, I don't know if it has been raised before but I find it extremely irritating after ordering a beer being given the reply "of course you can". I first noticed this in JDWs but have since come across it elsewhere. It seems to happen however I phrase the order but only makes sense if I say "Can I have x beer please?". Quite frankly it makes my blood boil.
    In JDW,s they used to have the pump clips on even when the beer was not on so I suppose -off course you can is used because they were previously fed up of saying sorry its not on -what that one sorry that's not on as well but we have got to leave the pump clips on rather than bare pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    In JDW,s they used to have the pump clips on even when the beer was not on.
    They still do unless it's managed by someone with the sense to ignore the ridiculous directive, maybe one that listens to their staff and punters rather than the cretins in charge.

This Space For Hire

Pricing things without a pound sign or trailing zeros. So you get a "drinks menu" with tosh like "Doombar 4.8" written in it. And no, they don't mean the strength.

Fancy restaurants have long suffered from this conceit, but when faux gastropubs do it you know they're right up themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

Pricing things without a pound sign or trailing zeros. So you get a "drinks menu" with tosh like "Doombar 4.8" written in it. And no, they don't mean the strength.

Fancy restaurants have long suffered from this conceit, but when faux gastropubs do it you know they're right up themselves.
    Unfortunately it's not just "faux gastropubs" that do it.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

tosh like "Doombar 4.8" written in it.
    Doom Bar £4.80p - there you go, but it's still tosh.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Unfortunately it's not just "faux gastropubs" that do it.
    One of my local pubs the Bell does it and there's no way it's a gastro. The food is generally better than JDW but costs roughly twice as much. Thinking about it, £6.99 is just as annoying as a bare 7.

This Space For Hire

The manageress of my local serves short measures. The pumps have sparklers and she thrashes the beer out so violently she cannot get a full pint for all the foam.Short measure usually means the pub makes more money but in her case she throws the overflow beer into the sink.During my hour visit on sat about 5 or 6 pints down the drain.Incidently I don't get short measures as I say let it settle even if it means a five minute wait.A pints a pint in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    A pints a pint in my book.
    You're dead right there, all pub chains and breweries are at it. I remember the days when you didn't see swan necks and sparklers in the South. The fact that most Central London pubs are already a rip off doesn't deter them from giving out short measures.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    You're dead right there, all pub chains and breweries are at it.
    I once grumbled about a pint of Wifebeater which was about an inch below the top of the (unlined) branded glass. I was told 'I'll top it up but if the rep catches me I'll be for it'

And you'll be for it if trading standards catches you, too.

And you'll be for it if trading standards catches you, too.
    sadly probably not, most Trading Standards departments aren't that interested in enforcing a poorly defined law, City of London might be an exception IF they have actually put their money where their mouth is here.

Of course Mr Humphrey enforces 95% as a maximum and it's a sacking offence to give more.