Ads not shown when logged in
Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    High furniture is not a feature I associate with micropubs or have noticed.
    Must be a London thing I guess - high furniture is a regular feature in London micropubs.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

There are deliberate design features that are meant to attract a certain type of clientele and deter others. I read somewhere recently about a bar moaning that in spite of having stripped back brickwork, 101 keg lines on the back wall, high seating, loud music, etc the oldies still came for the cask beers.
    Guilty as charged
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

High furniture is not a feature I associate with micropubs or have noticed.
    Some of them only have high furniture and many have mostly high tables and chairs. One obvious reason is because it gives them somewhere to stash the empty casks. I was told in one of these places it was because it encourages conversation. It doesn't work for me as if there isn't any low seating I just scowl, stare and grimace at the other punters and the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I was told in one of these places it was because it encourages conversation. It doesn't work for me as if there isn't any low seating I just scowl, stare and grimace at the other punters and the owner.
    So, free entertainment for the other customers, then. You'll have to let us know where you'll be appearing next.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

I guess the idea is that a couple of silly old fools sitting at a normal table will take an hour over three halves and a packet of cheese and onion each and gross the pub a tenner. Six young pissheads occupying the same space round a high table might have twelve or fifteen pints in the same time and that's fifty quid in the till thankyou very much.

Still doen't explain why they put them in family dining format places like Ember Inns where the core market is sit-down diners of a certain age who'd rather enjoy their scampi and chips without suffering altitude sickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I was told in one of these places it was because it encourages conversation.
    Count me out. I go to the (micro) pub for a quiet pint. Less chat the better.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

I was in two micro pubs yesterday and stood at the bar in both them. One did have tall chairs and beer barrels were lined up behind them.
    Fat people struggle to get into low tables and chairs so maybe high stools are for them.

It may have been mentioned before, but I wasn't going to trawl through 55 pages to find out...

Pubs closed for "Private Functions". I managed to stumble across two last night - W1's Audley and Footman - mere walking distance from each other. I guess that's one of the hazards of Central London midweek evening ticking...
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

Again, I don't know if it has been raised before but I find it extremely irritating after ordering a beer being given the reply "of course you can". I first noticed this in JDWs but have since come across it elsewhere. It seems to happen however I phrase the order but only makes sense if I say "Can I have x beer please?". Quite frankly it makes my blood boil.

This Space For Hire

"Can I get a pint of Old Snotgobbler?"
    "Of course you can"
    "When I get back from Tescos with it can you give me a glass to drink it from?"
    "Of course I can...."

Slightly more seriously, if you say "Two pints of Old Snotgobbler and a packet of cheese and onion please mate" they can't say "Of course you can" without sounding like a dickhead. It's the modern usage of framing a request as a question whcih causes it.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 21-02-2018 at 21:55.