Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Ah, found another one on Sunday, the free peanut hoggers, you know, on Sundays the pub puts on a free [minute] bowl of peanuts / crisps, then some greedy git snaffles it and all you have left is a few p*ssed soaked ones [allegedly, according to some survey yonks ago]

Shut or not pubs, a few years back went in one in small rural, thatched cottage type, village, sat down near nice roaring fire, landlord came out, looked at us, then vanished for ever, we walked up the road to only alternative pub, barst@rd, utter utter b@rstard. Included in my review of course, pub changed hands subsequently, wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Ahh that's the FoGs - Friends of Guvnor. At its most insidious the guvnor will be sitting on the customer's side of the bar with the FoGs and some hapless junior will have to attend to their every whim, always serving them in front of the paying customers. If that's going on the chances are the FoGs have some sort of hold over the guvnor, usually invoving some financial or legal indiscretion.
    Hmmmmm! I'm going to be a FOG tonight at The Baum then, with the Guvnor sitting on our side of the bar.

Everyone will still get served in turn though, and if it gets busy (on a wet Tuesday in February, ha!) then Simon will always go back behind the bar.

I'll have to find out what he's been up to indiscretion wise though.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 02-02-2010 at 16:01.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    No-one mentioned number 94 yet? Bar Blockers - the dispiriting sight of a row of fat arses hanging off a line of bar stools gets me everytime .
    If they didn't look too menacing I'd be tempted to order a glass of water with my pint and walk along the row dripping a bit in each bumcrack!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    OK, time to redress the balance a bit and for someone to have something good to say about Americans. I really believe that the sort of stereotypical loud and brash Americans mentioned in this thread are a minority. I meet American tourists all the time in my wanderings around London pubs, and I often go out of my way to speak to them and invariably find them good company, and willing to talk about - and even learn something about - English pubs and beers. Of course there is no excuse for the sort of rude behaviour mentioned previously, but I think all nationalities have their bad eggs and I don't think American tourists are really worse than any others.
    I agree, most visitors to"our" pubs are fine,though there are "oiks" from all nations. I must admit I'd be totally at sea etiquet -wise in an American bar-all that business with change and tipping. Highly unlikely that I'll ever go there-Mrs W hates flying, and my passport has run out, and I don't really fancy bunging Gordon £70 or what ever to renew it. We have our hols in Yorkshire, and I claim the right of ancestral homecoming!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I must admit whem i`m abroad the behavior of the British makes me cringe

The top five annoyances for me in Pubs are as follows I could give a whole Page so here’s just the top Five.

1) Several TVs on different station all on too loud at the same time with the Juke Box still blaring away as well.
    2) Pubs that allow children too run around uncontrolled.
    3) Pubs with no Real Ale.
    4) Bar Blockers that just stand the three deep talking even though there’s plenty of empty seating.
    5) Staff that are totally disinterested in the job with no manners or Please & Thank You.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    5) Staff that are totally disinterested in the job with no manners or Please & Thank You.
    So true, hadn't really thought of it to add to this thread, but it is amazing how quickly I will never visit a pub when the staff show no interest, or indeed just ignore me for people who clearly have just walked up to the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Hmmmmm! I'm going to be a FOG tonight at The Baum then, with the Guvnor sitting on our side of the bar.

Everyone will still get served in turn though, and if it gets busy (on a wet Tuesday in February, ha!) then Simon will always go back behind the bar.

I'll have to find out what he's been up to indiscretion wise though.
    Not busy, on a wet Tuesday in February, you're joking.

It was the local CAMRA branch meeting upstairs so there were 18 in.

The bad news was the announcement that the Oldham Beer festival has been cancelled for this year.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 08-02-2010 at 10:34.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire

#317 is Puttting Your Sandwich On Your Napkin On The Plate. The thing is rendered completely useless by being already covered in crumbs or rendered soggy from salad or greasy from chips. Should you require a napkin for purposes of protecting your clothes and wiping you mouth and hands you are required to make a special application to the person who has spent all morning wrapping the remaining stock around knives and forks, and undoing one again is deemed a massive favour.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

The guy who insists on giving you a running commentary of the match you are watching and then there is the guy who waits for you to order food or drinks and then tells you - "I wouldn't have ordered that here, mate"
    MILD: