Ads not shown when logged in
Page 34 of 66 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

This Space For Hire

#805 British English speakers who ostentatiously ask for chips when they mean crisps. They'll usually commit a #856 (pay by credit card) in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    #805 British English speakers who ostentatiously ask for chips when they mean crisps. They'll usually commit a #856 (pay by credit card) in the process.
    In at #805. And by "ask" you surely mean "can I get", thus also committing a #655.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    In at #805. And by "ask" you surely mean "can I get", thus also committing a #655.
    Aaaaaaaaargh. "Can-I-gedda...." is one of my major annoyances. Sadly becoming a frequent part of the language over here.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ71 View Post
    Aaaaaaaaargh. "Can-I-gedda...." is one of my major annoyances. Sadly becoming a frequent part of the language over here.
    Overheard in a famous Manchester pub "Can I gedda pinta lager"

Barman: "Nope, I'll have to get it for you"

Confused numpty: "What?"
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by MJ71 View Post
    An expert annoyer will begin the sentence with 'so' and include a fair sprinkling of 'likes'. If they can smuggle a 'going forward' in to it there may be a need for the men in white coats as you will no longer be responsible for your actions.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    An expert annoyer will begin the sentence with 'so' and include a fair sprinkling of 'likes'. If they can smuggle a 'going forward' in to it there may be a need for the men in white coats as you will no longer be responsible for your actions.
    Then he'll be "going on a journey".
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

#649 - Self-righteous staff angrily telling you off for breaking a house rule despite you not even knowing they had one/signs proclaiming thereof not readily visible

I'm not thinking of anywhere in particular...

This Space For Hire

#101 A load of bits of paper in a clipboard instead of a Proper Menu

This has been common in oh so trendy places for a while but now a lot of not so trendy places have succumbed. I think the idea is that you're supposed to think the menu changes every day and imagine someone has printed it off freshly that morning. Chances are they haven't of course. If they want to be really annoying they print the menus double-sided so you have to turn the thing upside down to read it, or stuff the thing with so many bits of paper - lunch and evening menus, snacks, wine list, specials, flyers for the meat raffle that you have to disassemble it all to read everything because the clip obscures much of the text.

I stopped at a main road chain pub for a quick one on the way home Friday and they'd got the disease badly, just about all the symptoms above were present and correct. To show that they were trying extra hard everything was dog eared with beer rings on the top sheets. A flip through revealed details of Tuesday's special. Assuming that sort of attention to detail carried through to the kitchen I doubt I'll be eating there anytime soon.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Food being served on a wooden cheeseboard like object, rather than a plate. A daft fad which I hope will disappear in the not too distant future.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Food being served on a wooden cheeseboard like object, rather than a plate. A daft fad which I hope will disappear in the not too distant future.
    Apart from the concept being frankly ridiculous it concerns me that the things are not easy to clean and remnants from previous uses can seep into the wood.