Ads not shown when logged in
Page 27 of 66 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguru View Post
    Seems to be a nationwide policy then, as the only time I had to suffer one I left this review:
    http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33275/
    A particularly ghastly experience I remember.
    They must be well in the running for the worst pubco award. The speciality is turning once distinguished thirties roadhouses into some of the most rancid eateries around.

The reviewer went on to complain about his two for a tenner roast dinners. You wonder what people expect. That price suggests an ingredients cost of well under two quid a head by the time Brake Brothers and Greene King have made their margins and the staff to reheat and serve it have been paid. That's around the cost of hospital or prison quality food, yet people actually go and willingly buy it and expect it to be edible and enjoyable.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 24-01-2012 at 13:27.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    They must be well in the running for the worst pubco award.
    As they say in political circles...I agree with Nick.I visited their Old Royal Oak ,Hillmorton which is aimed at families with young kids.Such a poor experience that I forgot to mention in my review that the TV screens in the booths there were tuned to cbeebies

Shocking what GK have done to a decent building.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    As they say in political circles...I agree with Nick.I visited their Old Royal Oak ,Hillmorton which is aimed at families with young kids.Such a poor experience that I forgot to mention in my review that the TV screens in the booths there were tuned to cbeebies

Shocking what GK have done to a decent building.
    I've just remembered Wacky Warehouse, who may well beat Hungry Horse in the race to the bottom.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I think this one deserves a bump so I will add, tables reserved for ' musicians' during open mike nights. Often the musicians don't turn up and when they do they sit around being 'creative'. I'm buying beer, you are sodding around with a plectrum, I think I deserve a seat more than you.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Reserved tables are a particular bugbear of mine, unless they are in a dedicated food area. Kingston Arms in Cambridge (which is actually a fine pub in all other respects) has a policy of reserving tables even for groups not eating. To me that is not what a pub is about, especially as the people holding tables routinely don't arrive at the appointed time or sometimes not at all. I generally disregard and wait and see if I get moved.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

#926: The interminable band warm up:

The vocalist saying 'one...one, two' into a microphone ad nauseum.....The drummer who thinks that merely hitting everything as hard as possible makes him sound like John Bonham....The guitarist who plays the opening four bars of every famous rock track from the last forty years....The keyboard player who attempts some half arsed improvisation, because jazz is really his thing....The bass player who plays the same run at ever increasing volume so that your pint actually starts to ripple.....

I was in a certain west London hostelry recently, where the manager got so pi$$ed off with the band's antics, he told them to stop and turn everything off!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

People who are too posh for cash and pay by card. Usually business types straight from work on a Friday, who then end up holding up the whole bar while the one card machine gets passed around.

Toilets a mile away from the bar and up or down about 30 stairs!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

[QUOTE=Spinko;45016]People who are too posh for cash and pay by card. Usually business types straight from work on a Friday, who then end up holding up the whole bar while the one card machine gets passed around.

Agreed , a few weeks ago we had a weekend in Cambridge almost everyone was paying by card , even just for half a coke
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I only found out a card can be used at my local as a bloke bout his beer with one, but no hold up as it was luchtime & just me & him in there, and I had my pint anyway
    I drink to make others more interesting

"If..."

No, not the poem by the cake-bloke, but use of an unresolved conditional clause by bar staff who treat you as a process unit rather than as a customer. As in the phrases:

"If you'd just like to enter your PIN..."

"If you'd like to help yourself to knife and fork..."

"If you just want to drink up..."

Please, stop pretending you are the girl on the automated call centre and use proper sentences that say what you mean - "PIN, please", "the cutlery's on that table and I'm too idle/busy to get it for you", "please drink up and go home as it's 3AM and the lock-in's finished you drunken old sot".

Now if you'd like to comment on this...