Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

What is it about foreigners ?......Istanbul Airport ...Outward bound with B.A just after the Soviet system went belly up and Russians were buying anything and everything. Their Idea ofCabin luggage was scary plus their planes were stuck on the ground the landing fees had not been paid.While waitng for a drink I saw a Russian woman take up SIX SEATS with her cabin luggage. Now with drinks in hand mrs wanted a seat. Follow me..emptied two seats of gaffer taped boxes. Up came the harpy in full cry. Masterfully I told her who had won the Cold War and if she paid the take off fee she could have her seats back. More harpy screaming which attracted security.A quick show of boarding cards resulted in the rest of the seats being cleared throughout the airport lounge.GREAT. Mind you when our flight was called on time you could hear the hissing as we walked out.The same people are now probably blocking seats in JDWs.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I think we are all missing pub annoyance #1 - no MILD....... nuff said

and annoyance #2 - you go to the bog and are washing your hands with fragrant soap, when some guy has a p*** and walks out leaving you to open the door using the same handle where his hands have been, those that have just tucked his winkle back in, hopefully after 'shaking' all residue off

Finally - annoyance #3 and more f*****g
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Finally - annoyance #3 and more f*****g
    Oh dear.. I'll make note.. "Don't invite Soupy to Ember Inn, especially The Fox, Hopwas"
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Oh dear.. I'll make note.. "Don't invite Soupy to Ember Inn, especially The Fox, Hopwas"
    Did it.... wont go back. Have you done the Plaza in Rugeley yet, Squire?
    MILD:

Apart from JDWs how many pubs have hot water in the gents let alone soap. I agree with your comment about not washing hands but I remember my mrs saying the same about the female toilets.For a long time I have carried a shoulder bag. Not everyones choice but I am use to it for camera,batteries and such like. I also carry antibiotic hand wipes.Spending time around hospitals the hand cleansing routine has stayed with me.
    Never eat from the free nut bowls on the bar either, makes sense when you see customers not washing their hands. I would rather pay for a sealed packet.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Did it.... wont go back. Have you done the Plaza in Rugeley yet, Squire?
    Nope not yet.

Why?
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

[QUOTE=Oggwyn Trench ;5925].....theres the ones who complain that they cant get Old Peculier in every pub .QUOTE]

What's wrong about wanting Old Peculiar in every pub, makes sense to me..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Oh yeah.. tell me about it especially Yanks tourists in Stratford Upon Avon! I remember I went to pub called Pen and Parchment in Stratford. I was reading my paper, two American couple ordered two pints of Bass. They never tried British beer before so they decide to taste one.

Next thing I know.. American man simply shouted "WHAT THIS SHIT BEER? too bloody warm!!!" and we can simply overheard him! He marched to bar and ordered something much colder. He got pint of.... Coors!

Now we Brits know Bass never served cold..
    Mind you the Pen & Parchment is a terrible tourist hole, as is much of Stratford. Only the Windmill and the Thatched House come through with much merit.

I feel a review coming on
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Oh yeah.. tell me about it especially Yanks tourists in Stratford Upon Avon! I remember I went to pub called Pen and Parchment in Stratford. I was reading my paper, two American couple ordered two pints of Bass. They never tried British beer before so they decide to taste one.

Next thing I know.. American man simply shouted "WHAT THIS SHIT BEER? too bloody warm!!!" and we can simply overheard him! He marched to bar and ordered something much colder. He got pint of.... Coors!

Now we Brits know Bass never served cold..
    For those who have not seen this worth a perusal "The Pubs of Emsworth -advice for visitors from abroad, Some advice for Foreign Visitors" linked from Emsworth pubs web site

http://www.emsworthpubs.org.uk/Advice.htm

Snippet below

"Research findings: American visitors experienced particular language-barrier problems with two drinks: Cider and Martini. Please note that Cider, in Britain, is an alcoholic drink, of about the same strength as beer. If you order "A Martini", you will not get a cocktail: you will get a glass of Martini (vermouth) - no gin or vodka, and no olive."

This made me laugh!

Dont ring the bell. Some pubs have a large bell attached to the wall at one end of the bar. This is used by the publican or bar staff to signal last orders and time . If you ring the bell, customers may interpret this as the last orders signal, and will all rush to the bar to buy their last drinks making it even more difficult for you to get served, and incurring the wrath of the publican!