Ads not shown when logged in
Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

How about 'pubs' who put tea lights on the table? Those of us who sometimes like to read a newspaper whilst having a quick pint can get a bit more excitement than expected in the event of a momentary lapse of attention...

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Brings back memories of the restaurant me and Dave went in post match once and the waiter kindly lit the tea lights at the table. Presumably to create the right atmosphere.

Actually thinking about it there was also the bottle I exploded with a lighter once in a pub whilst out with Dave, still if they will shove them on tables in a drinking pub .

I can't think why I drink less these days .

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    How about 'pubs' who put tea lights on the table? Those of us who sometimes like to read a newspaper whilst having a quick pint can get a bit more excitement than expected in the event of a momentary lapse of attention...
    I wonder if this is a barmy head office policy in some chains. We were somewhere M&B related I think it was on a recent baking summer's afternoon, sunlight streaming in and all the windows open when at the dot of 6pm someone came round and lit all the candles, despite the two hours of usable daylight left.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

When your sitting having a quite afternoon pint in an empty pub and the barmaid/waitress asks you to move your glasses so she can lay the table ready for the evenings dining service , it happened on Saturday , i wont be going back
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I just can't let an opportunity pass to add my voice to those who detest those chunky solid high tables and chairs. Goodness knows why anyone furnishing a pub thinks that they are a more comfortable option than your everyday tables and chairs. But that's just my opinion - I see that some people like them.

I experienced a cracker of an annoyance the other day, in the "customer isn't always right" category. I'm in a pub accompanied by three ladies (which is in the strange but true category) - yours truly orders a pint; the ladies all order coffee. Coffee arrives, without milk. Mrs R asks for some milk - they don't have any milk. No apology, just the statement "well, where I come from we drink coffee without milk". Unbelievable - and irrelevant as the pub is not "where you come from", but in Hammersmith, where drinking coffee with milk is not unknown! I suppose they made the coffee, realised they didn't have any milk, and instead of coming clean thought they would try and get away with it. I have heard the "nobody would complain about that back home" argument before, and it really gets up my nose. Yes, I'm sure there are places where a 2 inch head is acceptable, but not if you're in London!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Had to chose one of those high tables and chairs for our Wetherspoons meal today, no other table free.

It was OK till food arrived and I wanted to be nearer the table as I was getting backache reaching across to my plate. It is impossible to shuffle a high chair towards the table. I got off and pulled it close to the table, then couldn't get on the thing as my leg wouldn't go between the table leg and chair leg. Had to grab the table and lean the chair backwards so I could get my leg in.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Had to grab the table and lean the chair backwards so I could get my leg in.
    Timber!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Today was the first time I came across the high chair & tables [Red Lion, Horndean], my normal haunts are not so designer led

Although place was fairly full [lunchtime grey pound, 2 meals for a tenner], it was very obvious that these tables were shunned & empty

I used a bar stool, but I am not a short@rse so had no problems there

[QUOTE=gillhalfpint;It is impossible to shuffle a high chair towards the table. I got off and pulled it close to the table, then couldn't get on the thing as my leg wouldn't go between the table leg and chair leg. Had to grab the table and lean the chair backwards so I could get my leg in.[/QUOTE]

Even as a lover of high chairs (and I've heard all the jokes, if you know a new one I'll stand a round should we ever meet), I agree with what you say.
    But I love watching folk try..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

This Space For Hire

#272 People Who Sit Their Kid On The Bar Counter

God that is annoying, especially if it's busy and you have to negotiate drinks over and around it. The more so if its demenour and odour suggest that, how shall I put this delicately, it needs changing.