Ads not shown when logged in
Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I rarely get cold calls [TPS registered & ex - directory], but have had sort of fax noises when I guess some plonker has mis dialled a fax number

Mobile phone, never get them, as I am PAYG, and it is mostly off except when I am out I assume anyone trying just gives up, as "Farway no mates" I have disabled voicemail as well

Bah Humbug

We've developed a simple system for cold callers. If they can name the owner's surname (ours) then I'll talk further.

Many fall at the first hurdle it must be said. Especially John Smith, from India, enquiring if we are happy with our phone line (if we weren't he wouldn't be talking to us, would he?)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    We've developed a simple system for cold callers. If they can name the owner's surname (ours) then I'll talk further.
    Great tip, I sadly forget it too often, but it is always great value when I do remember it

If it's on my landline I invite them to give me a full and detailed desription of their product/service then go and make a cup of tea while they prattle away. After all, it's their phone bill, and I didn't promise to listen.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I listened patiently one time as a double glazing firm tried to sell me a conservatory. Feigning interest I let him spout on for quite a while before I asked whether living on the 22nd floor might be a problem or not.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Round here our local council pays the pubs in rural villages for folk to use the pub loo when none exists in village, which is frequently the case, Rising Sun at Clanfield is an example

Tough luck if pub shut though, behind the bushes into the duck pond?
    Another one for Wyre Piddle brewery. "Piddle in the hedge"

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I have just spent a very entertaining morning reading this thread. It is so good, and I must admit I agree with most of the annoyances. My main gripe is not being able to see pumpclips on the bar, and getting looks of annoyance for interupting those sitting at the bar when I politely ask them to move aside so I can see them.

Loud music that spoils conversation.
    Kids running about or scrapping on the floor.
    Sticky tables that need a good clean.
    Loos with no seats, paper, doors, lights etc that have been inspected within the last hour.
    Smokers gathering at the door so you have to take a deep breath of fresh air before trying to get through the door.
    Bar staff who tell me that a bad beer tasting of vinegar is the way it was brewed, then change it for a bloke who complains about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    I listened patiently one time as a double glazing firm tried to sell me a conservatory. Feigning interest I let him spout on for quite a while before I asked whether living on the 22nd floor might be a problem or not.
    Many years ago I had a guy phone me up who started the conversation with " Wouldn't it be fantastic to look out of your window and see a brand new Mercedes?"

I pointed out that it would be f**kin' amazing as I was currently on the 19th Floor.

Whilst living in the same flat I also won second prize in an Xmas raffle. A set of patio furniture, chocolate teapot anyone?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Not a member of the Birmingham speed boat owners club are you?

When my phone rings and there is that four second delay I usually hang up - If I don't I normally get called by my wife's maiden name and then I hang up. Maybe I should string it out, but I usually can't understand a word that John Bloggs is talking about on the other end of the line.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Loud music that spoils conversation.
    Kids running about or scrapping on the floor.
    Sticky tables that need a good clean.
    Loos with no seats, paper, doors, lights etc that have been inspected within the last hour.
    Smokers gathering at the door so you have to take a deep breath of fresh air before trying to get through the door.
    Bar staff who tell me that a bad beer tasting of vinegar is the way it was brewed, then change it for a bloke who complains about it.
    I can name one pub in Tamworth meets all these above but then I can't cos I got mouthed by pub landlady..

You can check it out in Tamworth pub listings..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/