Ads not shown when logged in
Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

That Often used to happen when I ordered a pint of Light & Bitter. Instead of getting half pint of bitter in a pint glass and a bottle of Light Ale Id end up with a pint of Bass or courage & a Bottle of Light Ale. If you were quick and told them as they went over the half you got a free 1/3 of a pint if you were lucky .
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    If you were quick and told them as they went over the half you got a free 1/3 of a pint if you were lucky .
    I used to drink Light & Bitter for much the same reason - some barmaids were more accommodating than others. (Sorry, I've just realised that sounds like it might have nothing to do with beer, but I assure you it did.) This was before I discovered Real Ale, of course.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I used to drink Light & Bitter for much the same reason - some barmaids were more accommodating than others. (Sorry, I've just realised that sounds like it might have nothing to do with beer, but I assure you it did.) This was before I discovered Real Ale, of course.
    I stopped drinking Light and Bitter in the late 70's when they started measuring out the bitter in a half glass then tipped it into a pintglass, it just wasn't cricket.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I stopped drinking Light and Bitter in the late 70's when they started measuring out the bitter in a half glass then tipped it into a pintglass, it just wasn't cricket.
    The Express at Kew Bridge used to fill a half pint dimple mug then pour it into a pint glass and when you topped it up with the bottle it wasn't a full pint.This pissed off the light and bitter brigade no end.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The Express at Kew Bridge used to fill a half pint dimple mug then pour it into a pint glass and when you topped it up with the bottle it wasn't a full pint.This pissed off the light and bitter brigade no end.
    I remember one pub he had light ale in pint bottles. The draught went in first then he topped it up with light ale. I reckon he got three light and bitters out of a pint of light ale, but charged you as if you had a much dearer half-pint bottle. Nice extra margin for him and you didn't get a bit extra beer and a bottle to fuss around with. A lose-lose situation. But he was the sort who charged a penny a lump for ice, I don't think even the most brass-necked guvnor would try that one nowadays.

The Scottish? Governor in the Express is one of the most miserable barstewards I’ve ever met. A lunch time a few years ago I saw a woman bite into a prawn baguette she had just purchased before her friend told her the bread was mouldy. She took it to the bar to complain and he said “that’s the way it comes, it is not going to kill you”. I nearly gagged on my excellent pint of Brains.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

The "half pint" bottle was usually 275ml (9.68 fl oz) rather than 284ml (10 fl oz).

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    The "half pint" bottle was usually 275ml (9.68 fl oz) rather than 284ml (10 fl oz).
    That's the reason then but also the half pint had a head which reduced the volume as well.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    The Scottish? Governor in the Express is one of the most miserable barstewards I’ve ever met. A lunch time a few years ago I saw a woman bite into a prawn baguette she had just purchased before her friend told her the bread was mouldy. She took it to the bar to complain and he said “that’s the way it comes, it is not going to kill you”. I nearly gagged on my excellent pint of Brains.
    That's my mate Gordon. You are BARRED.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Apparently publicans are the most miserable of any profession, so I guess he'd seem perfectly normal at the annual LV dinner dance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26671221