Ads not shown when logged in
Page 19 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

#421 Stereotypical Company Policy

I ventured into a newly opened CafeBar in Taunton the other day, expecting to see the usual Eurofizz and 30 types of coffee, and was surprised to see a couple of Cask Ales on offer. I ordered a pint of Toga Man and looked around at the new-made-too-look-old Decor (#264) whilst it was being poured.

"£3 please, Sir", said the barman, and as I turned round discovered that it had been served in one of those dimpled pint pots with a large handles that my Dad used to drink out of in Country Inns during the 1970's .

"oh, can I have a straight glass?". I enquired.

"That's how we serve our ale", came the reply.

"Yes, but I would prefer a straight glass", I repeated.

"Sigh". Begrudgingly, the barman relented and poured my beer into a straight glass, even topping it up to replace the drop that he had spilt.

Do these people think that because I drink real beer I obviously require a pint pot? I'm surprised they don't stereotype people further by asking them to wear a beige checked jacket with leather patches on the elbows just to show all those coffee and fizz drinkers what I am drinking.

To be fair, my second pint did come in a straight glass and the quality was surprisingly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Paris_Hilton View Post
    #421 Stereotypical Company Policy
    Do these people think that because I drink real beer I obviously require a pint pot? I'm surprised they don't stereotype people further by asking them to wear a beige checked jacket with leather patches on the elbows just to show all those coffee and fizz drinkers what I am drinking.

Do you have the beard, sandals and beer belly already ?

Don't you hate it when you are comfortably settled in for a quiet pint and suddenly 15 beer tourists and pub fanatics from all over the country come piling in at the same time!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Don't you hate it when you are comfortably settled in for a quiet pint and suddenly 15 beer tourists and pub fanatics from all over the country come piling in at the same time!

Dont know what you mean
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Do you find that when you escape the wife for a quiet Saturday afternoon pint and you fine a nice corner of the pub where there is no-one around, a couple of sweary blokey types come and sit right by you, or a drunken old man sits by you or some young types on mobiles will sit by you?

Or do I just attract weirdos?

Last night I took my partner out for a meal at a recently re-opened pub/restaurant. It advertises itself as a steakhouse, so think pizza hut including salad bar and your not far off. Just finished our mains, thinking about a dessert or desert, at this time of night I can't recall, when a football team came in, loudly ordering their drinks and having a banter. Needless to say the next thing I asked for was the bill. In a pub that's clearly a pub I'd expect that, but we'd purposely chosen this one for a quiet meal on a Tuesday night.
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    ....With their heads swivelling like meercats, before scribbling in their little notebooks. Either that, or they're wandering around the room absent mindedly, like Tim Robbins in the Shawshank prison yard.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    ....With their heads swivelling like meercats, before scribbling in their little notebooks. Either that, or they're wandering around the room absent mindedly, like Tim Robbins in the Shawshank prison yard.
    ...sneaking in blurry photos from impossible angles!

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    ....With their heads swivelling like meercats,
    And they don't bother to introduce themselves, so someone has to compere the meercats.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    And they don't bother to introduce themselves, so someone has to compere the meercats.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.