Ads not shown when logged in
Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Out of 58 pages I'm going to add one encountered tonight, and previously that I've not bothered to mention in this thread, which I have before come across over numerous years in same pub. Micropub 500m away from my house shuts and chucks you out ~22.00 due to licencing laws so move down to my local normal pub but as quiet on a Sunday night they've been putting chairs up on tables and ringing all the bells to get customers to go home so they can leave before 11. I appreciate opening hours are discretionary but trying to save a few quid and sack customers off because it's a slow Sunday takes the piss.
    You can add to that 10.00pm closing time on 'slow Mondays' in increasing numbers of pubs and at The Bridge House, you can look forward to 10.00pm 'slow Mondays', 'slow Tuesdays' and 'slow Wednesdays' too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    You can add to that 10.00pm closing time on 'slow Mondays' in increasing numbers of pubs and at The Bridge House, you can look forward to 10.00pm 'slow Mondays', 'slow Tuesdays' and 'slow Wednesdays' too.
    Their facebook page and What Pub say otherwise. According to What Pub it is a Castle (M & B) outlet. Depending on whether it's managed the staff may not have any authorisation for doing this. It would be worth finding out. I once complained about a JDW closing early on a Monday and they took it very seriously.

Making the effort to stop at a small station after work and walking out to a country pub run by a major chain (say, hypothetically, something like the Bear at Berkswell) so it is bound to be open, only to find it shut because they are upgrading their kitchen - in a summer month - and "not open until noon tomorrow". Grrrr!

This Space For Hire

Reminds me of the Kings Head in Syresham . We got locked out in the garden at 4 PM when supposedly it is doesn't open till then. Good job the facilities had been inspected on arrival rather than prior to departure.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 08-07-2019 at 19:39.

This Space For Hire

#777c The Curse Of The Sunday Roast

That slightly sickening smell of congealing lamb fat and solidifying gravy that pervades many pubs about 3 pm on a Sunday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    #777c The Curse Of The Sunday Roast

That slightly sickening smell of congealing lamb fat and solidifying gravy that pervades many pubs about 3 pm on a Sunday afternoon.
    I'd like to know how many of these pubs actually use freshly carved meat as opposed to microwaved slices. My local boozer the Bell certainly uses reheated food but how many pubs don't? People slag off JDW food without realising that the vast majority of pubs are doing something similar but probably with a bit more finesse!
    If you really want something cooked fresh then do it yourself at home!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I'd like to know how many of these pubs actually use freshly carved meat as opposed to microwaved slices.
    Some which quite fancy themselves. At a family do a couple of years ago I wondered why the pub concerned was serving "prime grass-fed Australian beef" or some such when there's a class-leading butcher in town which supplies a lot of places locally.

When it came out every slice, and there were over a dozen of us, was exactly the same size and shape and cooked to exactly the same level of greyness. A bit of a giveaway. Pity the price wasn't, the ingredients cost can't have been more than a couple of quid for a fifteen quid meal. I've had better in a Toby carvery for half the price.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I'd like to know how many of these pubs actually use freshly carved meat as opposed to microwaved slices.
    You can usually tell by the identical thickness of the meat slices, and the absence of end or smaller pieces.

Brakes charge about £3 a portion - probably less through chains.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    Why do they in some Pub Gardens have those Tables that have a bench attached each side If you Sit on one end and your on the heavy side like me it tilts up and your Beer ends up in your lap which I have done on several occasions. It don't look good getting on the Bus with a Big Beer stain down the front of ones Trousers.
    Time to resurrect this. I observed some poor soul trying to negotiate one of these while hampered with a plaster cast and crutches. He could only perch the wrong way round with his back to his friends on the other side. In a different universe, (ie not the British public house universe) the waiter would have been trained to notice such things and provide an alternative. Like a chair. If of course they possessed any of a normal height.

This Space For Hire

OK, if we are bringing this thread up to date, aside from pubs failing to be open when expected, my current greatest gripe is the pointless one-way system. Yes, it might look good to have something on your Covid policy document but actually making me walk 15 yards round seven other tables of people, instead of two yards to the table I was heading for, is rather counterproductive in terms of distributing potential virus particles around the other customers, especially compared to, err, the vague possibility of meeting someone face to face.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement