Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 584

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

  1. #1
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,243

    Default Pub annoyances #834

    You and a friend arrive and are getting the drinks in at the bar while the girls go off on an urgent inspection of the facilities. You've got your eye on a table, your favourite, the one by the fire with the nice view of the garden. Just as you've got served a party come in and promptly deposit coats, shopping and all manner of other accoutrements on chairs around 'your' table. Tough, you say, life's a bitch.

    But they don't bloody well sit down. They go and stand nattering to their mates already blocking up the bar (see pub annoyance #74) for the next 40 minutes while an ever increasing crowd stands watching hopefully for That Table to become free. If they really want to rub it in they'll park a baby in a pushchair (see pub annoyance #315) to keep watch.

    Oh and if you're having a really bad day pub annoyance #634 (Being Invisible To The Bar Staff) will occur, meaning they will have got served in front of you too.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 31-01-2010 at 18:53. Reason: typo

  2. #2
    Former Pubs Galore Coder
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    You and a friend arrive and are getting the drinks in at the bar while the girls go off on an urgent inspection of the facilities. You've got your eye on a table, your favourite, the one by the fire with the nice view of the garden.

    ....

    , meaning they will have got served in front of you too.
    You've been JDW'd

  3. #3
    I'll stay on me own runningdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    East Dorset
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    You've got your eye on a table, your favourite, the one by the fire with the nice view of the garden. Just as you've got served a party come in and promptly deposit coats, shopping and all manner of other accoutrements on chairs around 'your' table.
    Ahh, but then there's #252, Nick, you get your beer, decide to sit down at an empty table, and enjoy it. Then, up he/they come, 'Sorry, mate, we're sitting here'. ' Not on your bluidy life you're not'.
    It's usually about then that I become pub annoyance #96, the stupid old sod who won't take a telling..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

  4. #4
    Official JDW Tester hopwas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tamworth
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    You've been JDW'd
    Grrr.. you are close to be marked man in my black book..

    Is Bristol's JDW that bad? No wonder it is big city hence millions of people visit world famous JDWs!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

  5. #5
    Official JDW Tester hopwas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tamworth
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Hoppy's number one pub annoyance..

    people queue jumping. I simply cant stand these queue jumping people!

    I remember last Tuesday in Silk Kite (Tamworth) I was patiently waiting for good 5 mins then new customer simply shouted to barman "PINT OF FOSTERS!!!" then barman duly served him!

    I felt like I wanted to punch his face (well I am not violence, honestly!) and I just kept quiet. Finally I got served!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

  6. #6
    Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nearer than you think
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    On my trip to Oxford it was the bloody Americans that annoyed me , sitting having a quite pint when they barge in stride up to the bar and shout at the barmaid "TABLE FOR TWO" the look on the barmaids face a mixture of seen it all before and death stare , and then there was the one who asked for a pint of Bombadier and when told they did`nt serve it , loudly told everbody in the pub "its not a real beer house its a pretend one " and of course theres the ones who complain that they cant get Old Peculier in every pub .............

    PS appoligies to DPV(Not all are bad)
    Last edited by Oggwyn Trench; 31-01-2010 at 20:19.

  7. #7
    Former Pubs Galore Coder
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Grrr.. you are close to be marked man in my black book..

    Is Bristol's JDW that bad? No wonder it is big city hence millions of people visit world famous JDWs!
    I think a fairer sentence would be that Bristol's JDW's are just not that good, but then most of the city center pubs are not that good, you need to get just off the main roads to find the good pubs in Bristol.

    The more accurate term recently for us would be you have been O'Neill's'd, had appalling service in there on Thursday lunch, so we are once again doing the pub rotation of the centre to find a decent lunchtime pub.

  8. #8
    In Search of Ebriety Millay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.
    Posts
    1,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I think a fairer sentence would be that Bristol's JDW's are just not that good, but then most of the city center pubs are not that good, you need to get just off the main roads to find the good pubs in Bristol.
    As far as JDW’s are concerned I remember the Commercial Rooms in Bristol, an old Gentleman’s club I believe that had seen better days, and the Knights Templar near the station. Good pubs that I do remember were the Cornubia, the Seven Stars, the Bank and the Kings Head. Plenty of pubs in Bristol as I recall and we were fortunate enough to have a local guide to show us the good ones.

  9. #9
    Official JDW Tester hopwas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tamworth
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    On my trip to Oxford it was the bloody Americans that annoyed me , sitting having a quite pint when they barge in stride up to the bar and shout at the barmaid "TABLE FOR TWO" the look on the barmaids face a mixture of seen it all before and death stare , and then there was the one who asked for a pint of Bombadier and when told they did`nt serve it , loudly told everbody in the pub "its not a real beer house its a pretend one " and of course theres the ones who complain that they cant get Old Peculier in every pub .............

    PS appoligies to DPV(Not all are bad)
    Oh yeah.. tell me about it especially Yanks tourists in Stratford Upon Avon! I remember I went to pub called Pen and Parchment in Stratford. I was reading my paper, two American couple ordered two pints of Bass. They never tried British beer before so they decide to taste one.

    Next thing I know.. American man simply shouted "WHAT THIS SHIT BEER? too bloody warm!!!" and we can simply overheard him! He marched to bar and ordered something much colder. He got pint of.... Coors!

    Now we Brits know Bass never served cold..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

  10. #10
    Former Pubs Galore Coder
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    As far as JDW’s are concerned I remember the Commercial Rooms in Bristol, an old Gentleman’s club I believe that had seen better days, and the Knights Templar near the station. Good pubs that I do remember were the Cornubia, the Seven Stars, the Bank and the Kings Head. Plenty of pubs in Bristol as I recall and we were fortunate enough to have a local guide to show us the good ones.
    A pretty fair assessment, Knights Templar is an ok pub, inoffensive is the best word I can think of, it is close to the train station and I have used it a couple of times in business meetings of people off the train, too much glass for me personally with the plasmas arrayed all round the room as well, but clean enough. The Commercial Rooms is a really nice building with tons of potential and a good location, and it is a shame to see it so abused. I seem to remember the condiments are at the front arrayed round a little bust that was presumably meaningful at some point but now just in the way of plastic sachet progress.

    Whereas the good pubs you mention are just that, the Seven Stars is probably the most familiar to me from having had a few drinks in there before gigs in the Fleece, always been a nice pleasant pub next door to my favourite venue in Bristol, the Fleece & Firkin (fond memories of watching Tim Booth and All About Eve there).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •