Ads not shown when logged in
Page 25 of 66 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

I was in a pub in Northampton and this old boy kept following me around telling me of the cheap prices behind the bar. He must have listed every drink's cost and even lent over the pool table whilst I was taking a shot and informed me that the WKD was half the price of the pub next door. I waited for him to go to the bar before I went to the bog!

I'm terrible at hiding my feelings as my face gives me away - I'm rubbish at poker, but it is handy for getting rid of people who are boring me - even if it is not intentional.

I hope this rambling makes sense - It's lunch in the cricket and I'm
    Last edited by Strongers; 03-01-2011 at 02:03.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

#647: You're in a fantastic ten pump watering hole, with half a dozen beers you've never come across before. You're going to sample at least three or four but want to make an informed decision where to start. However, even though it's not busy, after thirty seconds the miserable sod of a barman starts tutting, mithering you with "Do you want a light one, or a dark one?...

(Happened last night.)
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

One of my main complaints, this one. Brewers these days are keen to get monthly and seasonal specials, one-offs and experimental ales out there, but how much effort do they and publicans put into letting us (the market) know what they're offering?

Had a couple of Brewdogs last week. I knew what the Punk IPA was (an IPA, of course! although those less clued-up may have struggled), but the other was called Riptide. No clues at to style or colour, so I had to take my chances. Perfectly fine, of course, but why the guesswork?

It's not a go at Brewdog, it's a comment on many (most?). If the pump clip can't include a few words (Dark Star are pretty good at this), then can the pub put up a blackboard, or print a beer menu? Or do they prefer to simply sell to tickers who aren't much bothered what the beer is, or enthusiasts who already know or are prepared to gamble? It seems a pretty amateurish way to run a business to me and compares badly with the US, where these things are pretty much universal (pdf beer menu from the Two Bells, Seattle, as an example).

This Space For Hire

At least a&h had a sporting chance of being served by someone who knew what they were selling. Innocent fun can always be had in a 10 pump JDW when, upon inevitably finding your chosen pint is off, you ask the Estonian ingenue serving you to suggest an alternative. Chances are they'll pick whatever is in the next pump, even if it is cider or pipe cleaning fluid or something else surreally inappropriate.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Well, yes, I know what you mean but, to give JDW credit, they do have a beer menu. Not sure how generally available it is, but I do know that they produce proper lists for their regular festivals. The lists even include the hops! Nicholson's do the same and, personally, I'd like to see much more of this sort of thing to help me make an informed decision - if I like Copper Dragon Challenger IPA, I'd want to also try Hook Norton Jackpot, which both use Challenger, for example.

Note: both links are to pdf documents.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    Well, yes, I know what you mean but, to give JDW credit, they do have a beer menu. Not sure how generally available it is, but I do know that they produce proper lists for their regular festivals. The lists even include the hops! Nicholson's do the same and, personally, I'd like to see much more of this sort of thing to help me make an informed decision - if I like Copper Dragon Challenger IPA, I'd want to also try Hook Norton Jackpot, which both use Challenger, for example.

Note: both links are to pdf documents.
    We use the quite frankly excellent yourround.co.uk

All the details on the beers are there, I as a landlord select which beers I'm selling, and the customer gets an interactive view on the web, and a hand print-out in the pub. Mind you, we sell the beers so quick the print out isn't worth it over summer.

This is where one of my biggest pushes lies - staff training. You may not know what Riptide is, and not find a copy of the beer list, but if you order a pint a decent barman should tell you it's an 8% Imperial Stout and offer you a taste, allowing you

a) to take another beer if you don't like it

b) to state loudly 'holy crap, I'll just take a half, otherwise the missus'll *personal threat*

c) enquire what the price of such a strong and presumably rare cask ale is, before returning to point a) or b)

Well trained, interested bar staff are worth their weight in gold. Which is bloody expensive if they like the beer they recommend!
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Teetotal

Default My major pub annoyance.

After an enforced break from visiting your favourite, well run, busy local, the landlord informs you that they are going to turn your home away from home into a block of flats. Thanks Marston's!

Quote Originally Posted by whitmorereans View Post
    After an enforced break from visiting your favourite, well run, busy local, the landlord informs you that they are going to turn your home away from home into a block of flats. Thanks Marston's!
    That goes way beyond being just an annoyance!

Glass Half Empty

Default Pub Annoyance #823

Drab and awful staff uniforms that make even the sexiest of barmaids look unappealing
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

If you mentally undress them , barmaids in my case, the problem can go away. I will agree that it does not happen all the time, some look better clothed however good your imagination. Believe me that mine is out in the far reaches of near lunacy.