Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

A martini aint a martini unless its got an olive I dont like vermouth so at least the olive would give me something to suck on. I don't think Americans and English should drink together because if they don't end up fighting each other then they will look around for some place else to have a war.

OK, time to redress the balance a bit and for someone to have something good to say about Americans. I really believe that the sort of stereotypical loud and brash Americans mentioned in this thread are a minority. I meet American tourists all the time in my wanderings around London pubs, and I often go out of my way to speak to them and invariably find them good company, and willing to talk about - and even learn something about - English pubs and beers. Of course there is no excuse for the sort of rude behaviour mentioned previously, but I think all nationalities have their bad eggs and I don't think American tourists are really worse than any others.

Real Ale Drinker

What annoys me most : Sky TV and a juke box blaring away,im sure if i wanted to watch tv i would stay home,why do pubs always have to have the music so loud? its so annoying trying to talk to people, lets get back to the old days where you went to drink and smoke and chat to people without annoying tv and music.

Have you noticed that most customers seem to be carrying on conversation by text so they are not bothered by the music or tv. I would be really annoyed if I went out for a drink and my partner ignored me to play with the mobile phone. I saw a landlord at it last night.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    A martini aint a martini unless its got an olive I dont like vermouth so at least the olive would give me something to suck on.
    I saw a recipe for dry martini once (on MASH I think), it said pour a glass of Gin, take top of bottle of Vermouth, leave in same room for 10 mins, add olive and drink.

No-one mentioned number 94 yet? Bar Blockers - the dispiriting sight of a row of fat arses hanging off a line of bar stools gets me everytime .

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Bar Blockers are definitely the thing, Especially when there are several handpumps with clips to check. I find that ignorant beyond comprehension. Personally I rarely sit at the bar, usually only if no option. It all smacks to me of the false friendship bit with the clique on stools chatting to the landlord, in the old days there would be a packet of Dunhill and a gold lighter, pint of Stella for him and a Bacardi for the fake tanned missus.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Have you noticed that most customers seem to be carrying on conversation by text so they are not bothered by the music or tv. I would be really annoyed if I went out for a drink and my partner ignored me to play with the mobile phone. I saw a landlord at it last night.
    I'm with you there, but I think this a whole society issue rather than specifically a pub issue. I read something today about something called a "nonversation". This seems to be when one party is trying to have a conversation with another party who only makes sporadic and unintelligible responses because their attention is really devoted to whatever gadget they are playing with at the time. And seeing someone walking at me down the street and not looking where they're going because they're "texting" gets my goat as well. And I really do hate music being played too loudly in pubs - and that's almost as bad as one-armed bandits that still have the sound enabled! I think I've been promoted from Boring Old F*** to Miserable Old G**!

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Rex, you are vying for my place as the most miserable man alive. At my recent office Christmas party I walked the award for biggest moaner/most miserable ar$e of the year and quite right too. There are so many things that annoy me about modern life I could write a series of books. My daughter recently asked me to list things that wind me up but it got embarrassing especially as I put them into categories. Almost 30 were supermarket related, 20 or so to do with pubs. As for the person in front texting or stopping to check their phone,oblivious to who is behind. AAAArgggghhhh!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Bar Blockers are definitely the thing, Especially when there are several handpumps with clips to check. I find that ignorant beyond comprehension. Personally I rarely sit at the bar, usually only if no option. It all smacks to me of the false friendship bit with the clique on stools chatting to the landlord, in the old days there would be a packet of Dunhill and a gold lighter, pint of Stella for him and a Bacardi for the fake tanned missus.
    Ahh that's the FoGs - Friends of Guvnor. At its most insidious the guvnor will be sitting on the customer's side of the bar with the FoGs and some hapless junior will have to attend to their every whim, always serving them in front of the paying customers. If that's going on the chances are the FoGs have some sort of hold over the guvnor, usually invoving some financial or legal indiscretion.

Gotta say, Farway, I thoroughly enjoyed the Emsworth link, it was a bit like watching an old Brian Rix Aldwych farce, so much truth mixed up with so much missing the point.
    I have to admit I agree with King Rat about Americans, both in general, and tourist in particular. With regard to the hilarious thought that there is a universal etiquette to observe when ordering a drink, I know a helluva lot of Brits that give the Yanks more than a run for their money when it comes to shouting, gesticulating and pushing in. I met a load last night.
    Then there's the constant allusion to 'good' bar staff. I've got a job spotting them in a strange pub, what hope has a tourist, just48 hours out of the Bronx got. A warning that they are not all experienced and sympathetic might not have come amiss.
    Anyhow, never mind how to tell if it's a pub or no, how do you tell if it's open. That's my pub annoyance #253. The, usually country, pub that looks open at half past three in the afternoon but turns out to be shut when you get inside.
    Years ago my cousin owned a pub that was beside a main road. He hated the 'customer' who used the loos then vainished after buying nowt. There were two doors to the loos, one prominent, just inside the door, the other unobtrusive, at the far end of the bar. If you went to the bar and asked he invariably said 'Fine, mate, help yourself' and pointed out the back entrance.The outer door to the first one was open, you went in and it shut behind you, when you went to leave the doorknob came off in your hand and you had to shout for help. He gave up because the carpet kept getting wet.
    Last edited by runningdog; 02-02-2010 at 20:43.
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........