Ads not shown when logged in
Page 24 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub annoyances #834

There were a couple of kids hauling each other around the pub last night on a taboggan. Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!

A bunch of young men did the rounds of the local pubs on Saturday night. Rowdy but good natured they were all in fancy dress. The barmaid knew them and said they would all start fighting later on in the evening. Why ? Well thats what they always did.

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    Dogs, except guide dogs, are Satan's joke on the Human Race. They are just vile! Especially in a pub, anywhere near me. I hate dogs. Can you tell?
    Thanks for the heads up, mon generale. If I'm in the pub an you walk in I'll nip out an bring mine in
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

This Space For Hire

Boxing Day opening hours. Walked into the Adelphi at 5pm yesterday and they were closing. Eh?

Walking in and seeing menus dotted about. You spend 10 mins perusing and decide to order only for the barmaid to tell you they aren't serving food. That was yesterday in the Aire Bar Leeds..

Two of our local pubs were open Boxing Day evening. One closed at 8p.m. at which time the other opened its doors until 11'ish. Good thinking on some ones part.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

A couple of good ones here from Curmudgeon, http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...5762#post25762.

Does anyone have any 'bar prowler' tales to share?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Does anyone have any 'bar prowler' tales to share?
    I told this one before but worthy of a repeat.

I was in the 'Spoons in Chingford a few months ago reading the wall display about a local boxer called Derek Lloyd who was known as the Punching Postman. He was British Flyweight Champion in the late 50's and was quite a character at the time. Whilst I was reading it the local bar crawler noted my interest and wandered over for a chat. Turned out that it was Lloyd himself! He pulled out a crumpled envelope from his pocket containing a few battered photos from his boxing days and a list of all his fights and told me a few stories. Was quite sad to see this local sporting legend wandering around Wetherspoons but it made his day that I showed some interest in him. He still apparently goes out running everyday and helps out at a local boxing club even though he is now 74 years old.

So what do you do when a stranger walks into a pub. ? Its a common enough event out here in the sticks, one of my locals has rooms to let. Do you sit / stand and ignore them and perhaps be thought snobbish and stand offish.? Or perhaps give a cheery welcome and be thought a bit forward in your manner and a prowler or cock of the walk? I would rather speak to people than ignore them and their body language will tell you if they are of the solitary type. I appreciate the same sort of welcome when I am on strange ground. That heavy silence that descends on the bar after you have purchased your drink I find embarrassing and boring both as a visitor and a regular.
    Space invaders are easy enough to deal with. Just sit down at one of the tables. I'll give you good odds that Table Grabber will be the one to move.
    Pubs are basically social in character. A place to talk while supping the drink of your choice. Your mates will recognise when you need a bit of space, perhaps its a bad day, and leave alone. But if you expect silence with your drink perhaps sneaking a full hip flask into the local library may be a better bet.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    So what do you do when a stranger walks into a pub. ? if you expect silence with your drink perhaps sneaking a full hip flask into the local library
    may be a better bet.
    Heavens! Being sociable at the pub, saying how'do or striking up conversation with a stranger, is a different circumstance to that concerning the inferred bar pest.

May be I have been lucky in that I have never encountered a bar pest ?
    Or perhaps to dim or thick skinned to recognise one.

Even Worse......Perhaps I am one of the dreaded breed.