Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 7 Feb 2010)

I was rather pleased to have managed 6 different beers this week, but my efforts look rather poor in comparison to RogerB.

After mulling over the options though I'll go with the the Gorge Best Bitter from Cheddar Ales.

Right! Evening over. I can add...

Adnams Broadside (Pied Bull, Farningham)
    Greene King IPA (yes really) (Pied Bull, Farningham)
    Lymestone Ein Stein (Furze Wren, Bexleyheath)
    A mystery brewer beer labelled as Amber Ale in a Brakspear Pub! (Jolly Miller, Bexleyheath)
    Shepherd Neame Late Red (Prince Albert, Bexleyheath)
    Courage Best (Kings Arms, Bexleyheath)
    Everards Beacon (The Rose, Bexleyheath)
    Brains Rev James (Robin Hood & Little John, Bexleyheath)

A quite exceptional week of samples and to be honest there is too much to choose from from the week's selection. There could be a dozen that would make it to BotW in any week but if I have to choose one, it will be one with a story and that would be the East Coast S.B.B. (Seans Best Bitter) in O'Donoghues in Wakefield, named in memory of the delightful landlady's son who passed to the upstairs bar well before his time. When my body finally packs it in (which won't be long the rate I'm going), I would be honoured to have similar beer brewed for my memory but preferably with a pump clip bearing a Cockerell or a Dartford Warbler instead of a Liver Bird!
    Last edited by RogerB; 07-02-2010 at 23:01.

Glad to hear you had an excellent session last night, Roger. Some of those pubs bring back memories!

What's the Prince Albert like, these days? Used to be half-decent but was taken over by some Turks and I think they were planning to put more of an emphasis on the restaurant upstairs. I only visited the Jolly Miller the one time and the Robin Hood and Little John has been on my 'to do' list for about 6 years now!

I ended up paying paying a visit to The Barge. 4 hand-pumps - all reversed!!

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Had a pint of Prospect Gold Rush, Slaters Queen of Hearts, Hornbeam Big Cherry, Green Mill Thirstquencher and my favourite so far this week Slaters Wee Sleekit.

It won't win though as it's Derby Beer Fest this weekend.

We phoned up our favourite Indian restaurant in Derby, Masala Art, which won best Indian in the Midlands last year only to be told they went out of business last weekend.

Obviously being upmarket in Derby doesn't work. Sad.
    Well, after numerous beers at Derby Beer Fest and around Derby I have to say I didn't have a poor pint all weekend, but then again I didn't have many that made me go "WOW" either.

An honourable mention to Castle Rock Black Gold and Derby Brewery's Good As Gold but I think the winner will have to be Ape Ale from Blue Monkey. A proper IPA at 4.9% which tasted even stronger.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Well, after numerous beers at Derby Beer Fest and around Derby I have to say I didn't have a poor pint all weekend, but then again I didn't have many that made me go "WOW" either.

An honourable mention to Castle Rock Black Gold and Derby Brewery's Good As Gold but I think the winner will have to be Ape Ale from Blue Monkey. A proper IPA at 4.9% which tasted even stronger.

Hi Rob.. hope you enjoyed your time in Derby. Will you do the full report on here?

Hoppy
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Hi Rob.. hope you enjoyed your time in Derby. Will you do the full report on here?

Hoppy
    I may well do if I get the time.

Thomas Leaper = generic JDW with no architectural merit whatsoever. Decent pint of Brentwood Spooky Moon though. I would have thought that would have been a Halloween seasonal but obviously not.

Time to update my reviews for Derby pubs and get them on here.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    Glad to hear you had an excellent session last night, Roger. Some of those pubs bring back memories!

What's the Prince Albert like, these days? Used to be half-decent but was taken over by some Turks and I think they were planning to put more of an emphasis on the restaurant upstairs. I only visited the Jolly Miller the one time and the Robin Hood and Little John has been on my 'to do' list for about 6 years now!

I ended up paying paying a visit to The Barge. 4 hand-pumps - all reversed!!
    Prince Albert pretty much as I remembered - I haven't been there myself for quite a few years - all dangly pots and pans and roaring fires! No Turks in sight but good pint of Late Red at a rather pricey £3.15. Jolly Miller is Ok - a bit loud and bright but a couple of decent ales and the jury is still out on the RH&LJ given its reputation - the ales are good but too common for my liking - need to get in some local stuff or support the micros a bit more. The big bonus was the Rose - 5 ales including some interesting guests - I was only expecting a Courage Best or GK IPA!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Thanks to Aleandhearty for showing me what goes on in the back streets of Wakefield.
    My pleasure sir. Good to meet you and Mrs B. I think it's fair to saya good time was had by all.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    In three days??? Roger, that list is ridiculous!
    I woke up Friday morning knowing I'd had a bloody good drink. To drink at that level for three days is going some!

selection. There could be a dozen that would make it to BotW in any week but if I have to choose one, it will be one with a story and that would be the East Coast S.B.B. (Seans Best Bitter) in O'Donoghues in Wakefield, named in memory of the delightful landlady's son who passed to the upstairs bar well before his time.
    Can't argue with your choice there Roger. Kim would be well chuffed if she saw this.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    My pleasure sir. Good to meet you and Mrs B. I think it's fair to saya good time was had by all.

I woke up Friday morning knowing I'd had a bloody good drink. To drink at that level for three days is going some!

Can't argue with your choice there Roger. Kim would be well chuffed if she saw this.

When we got back from Leeds the "full" sign still wasn't quite registering so Mrs B went back to the hotel and I revisited a few of previous night's pubs, purely in the name of research of course. I eventually got to O'Donoghues at about 10.30 expecting a final pint before going back to the hotel. I left at about 12.30! Great blues rock band on - Jed Thomas Band and several untried ales that were just too inviting!

Struggled to find some of the Leeds puibs - I didn't have a map so we just wandered around and did whatever was on our list that we found or whatever else looked good that wasn't on the list. Plenty of scope for a return visit at some time. Got plenty of new reviews to write and no time to write them. Next stop Bolton away on Sunday!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

When we got back from Leeds the "full" sign still wasn't quite registering so Mrs B went back to the hotel and I revisited a few of previous night's pubs, purely in the name of research of course. I eventually got to O'Donoghues at about 10.30 expecting a final pint before going back to the hotel. I left at about 12.30! Great blues rock band on - Jed Thomas Band and several untried ales that were just too inviting!

Struggled to find some of the Leeds puibs - I didn't have a map so we just wandered around and did whatever was on our list that we found or whatever else looked good that wasn't on the list. Plenty of scope for a return visit at some time. Got plenty of new reviews to write and no time to write them. Next stop Bolton away on Sunday!
    Yeah,the standard of bands at O'D's is pretty good. Bet you saw a difference in atmosphere from the night before.

When I looked at your beer list I thought you'd made some strange choices pub wise, but now it makes sense! Noticed you got to Whitelocks, shame you didn't get to the Vic. Still, a good excuse to come up North again!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.