Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 7 Feb 2010)

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Found a first for me last week. One from the Tring Brewery currently on the JDW guest list, Tring side pocket for a Toad. Had to try it for the name alone.
    Interesting straw coloured pint. Not sure I liked it so had to go back again this week and try it again....
    Still not convinced, so i'll put it up for comment.
    Living in Hertfordshire I see it now and again and like to have the occasional pint to support a local brewery. Like you Gann I'm not particularly convinced about it and will generally go for something else interesting if there is one. I have one local pub where this is their only cask beer and it's usually in decent condition, not a beer to get me coming back though.

My beer of the week, and likely to be the same for the next couple of weeks, is completely transparent, contains no alcohol whatsoever and is usually served over ice. Supposedly aids weight loss - I can't complain - 15lb in 5 weeks is good going for me

Thankfully Dorothy Goodbody's Ruby Ale will be on when my detox ends...

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    My beer of the week, and likely to be the same for the next couple of weeks, is completely transparent, contains no alcohol whatsoever and is usually served over ice. Supposedly aids weight loss - I can't complain - 15lb in 5 weeks is good going for me
    Eddie, I'm sure you're too young to be de-toxing, although your Winter Ales day sounded worthy of a brief respite.
    How much of the 15lb do you attribute to abstinence, and how much to the physical work of putting the pub back together?

My BOTW goes to Cotleigh's Buzzard Dark Ale (4.8%) which is selling for just £1.29 at The Silk Kite. I am afraid it will be my only BOTW for this week as my next pub crawl will be on this Tuesday..

Anyway Buzzard is very pleasant and quite strong flavours which you will find in many dark ales. Strong treacle flavour with chocolately finish. Very dangerously drinkable.

Details about my pub crawl will be posted here later on.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Is this the part 2 of the last pub crawl? Either way, look forward to seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Is this the part 2 of the last pub crawl? Either way, look forward to seeing it.
    Part 2 already posted on my last pub crawl thread.

What I meant is I will putting up details for my next pub crawl. (Something different from my previous pub crawls. Something I never attempted before! )

Watch this space

Hoppy
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Christ, my brains are addled, I must of read it already, ah well off to read it again

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Eddie, I'm sure you're too young to be de-toxing, although your Winter Ales day sounded worthy of a brief respite.
    How much of the 15lb do you attribute to abstinence, and how much to the physical work of putting the pub back together?
    It's a mix of things, but if I book and pay by the end of Feb I can get a £700 holiday for £300, and with the savings I've got and the money I'll save by not drinking ale, soft drinks, just water, I should be able to make that amount up

Most of the weight loss was down to the work I was doing - longs hours without eating properly - the occasional cup a soup or a round of toast. Now I'm back in the kitchen, I'm keeping the idea of 'little and often' up, as I'm tasting every dish anyway!

I (in theory) will be taking some more pictures today now everything has worn in a little so a less rant-esque blog should be on the way

Well after an evening of fondue at the Kings Arms, I have a contender for BotW. Wickwar BOB, not the greatest I've ever had but I was enjoying ordering a 'Bob' in the style of Blackadder.

Paid a flying visit to the Seven Stars on my way home and had a quick Arbor Ales Beech Blonde which was ok, but my taste buds had been frazzled by molten chocolate. Also had a look round to see if I could greet our latest forum member - sadly failed.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Darkstar APA just got the nod at Cricketers Croydon (Shirley Rd) mini-fest ystdy, a few others of interest included (wait for it ROBCamra) Pictish Brewers Gold, Tirril Lakeland, & Southport Golden Sands (gbbf best bitter '09).
    Tomorrow includes Nottingham's CanalHouse & 56 award-winners, so actual botw is pending...

Pubsignman, did you make it to the Crick ystdy?