Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you dream about pubs, when sleeping?

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default Do you dream about pubs, when sleeping?

To answer my own question - yes! Usually, they're quite vague, following the theme of being in a bar with lots of pumps but not quite being able to see what they are, or discovering a great new pub, close to home, down some previously unknown side street.

Occasionally though, they're more fully formed. I recently had one about a (non-existent) pub called The Sun on a real street in Wakefield called The Springs. (As far as I know there has never been a pub on the site I imagined.) It had beautiful mustard yellow faience tiling on the frontage and in the entrance, plus ornate lettering above the door. Internally, it was low-ceilinged, with exposed beams, wooden floorboards and ornate balustrading. At the bar, there was one solitary hand pump*, just out of reach, forcing me to move round to try and see the clip. In doing so, I ended up climbing a staircase, which became a one way system, returning me to the street! For a few seconds when I woke up it seemed so real.

Anybody else?

*I suspect a Freudian analyst would have a field day with that one.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

When you're a teenage lad / young man it's quite normal to dream about sex. What happened to me too many times was that just as I was about to get really intimate, so to speak, with a young lady (often somebody who was completely imaginary rather than a girl I actually knew) my alarm clock would go off and wake me up and I would be thwarted. I sometimes tried to go back to sleep but it wouldn't happen, my chance had gone. I'm sure there was an element of mind and body clock working together and toying with me.

Anyway, not so young these days I had a dream only recently that I went into some mystery pub near a canal (mystery because it wasn't a pub I recognise from real life). It was a Saturday lunchtime and I entered through the back door with my wife in tow. She took a seat and I went to the bar. To my surprise they had Highgate MILD on (brewed locally but I don't see it on sale in enough outlets). I bought a MILD, a diet coke for my wife and a packet of crisps. I took the drinks back to the table where my wife was sitting, threw the crisps on the table and pulled up a stool. I picked up my pint of MILD and drew it towards my lips and BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Flippin' alarm clock!

And that's exactly how it happened.

Freud would say that it's an indication that I'm getting old when dreams about sex are replaced by dreams about Highgate MILD. (At least since I stopped playing football a year ago I don't wake up Mrs Ven so often by going in for the slide tackle, waking us both up as I kick her in the shins.)
    Waes hael!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Funny, i used to dream about MILD, now annoyingly, I dream of sex.
    MILD:

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    What happened to me too many times was that just as I was about to get really intimate, so to speak, with a young lady (often somebody who was completely imaginary rather than a girl I actually knew) my alarm clock would go off and wake me up and I would be thwarted. I sometimes tried to go back to sleep but it wouldn't happen, my chance had gone.

I picked up my pint of MILD and drew it towards my lips and BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Flippin' alarm clock!
    The point about trying to go back to sleep really struck a chord. I think you need to change from an alarm clock to a clock radio, as the voices / music might give you a gentler transition back to reality, with time to finish things off!

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Surely the ideal dream would be you lying there in a post-coital glow, pint of MILD in hand, having built up a thirst. On second thoughts, sod waiting for the dream, why not try it on Saturday night?....
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Not pubs so much, but individual beers:years back, when beer in London was rubbish, with the exception of Fuller Smith and Turner and Youngs (both incidentally hard to find then) I had a vivid dream about finding Fremlins in an unknown London pub. I also had a similar dream about Harveys having a tied pub in the smoke-they do now ,of course. Currently, I'm on a quest for Jaipur IPA from Thornbridge Hall, by night and by day. I've only ever seem it once, and it had run out. Dream about it quite often though.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    post-coital glow
    You see, i see that and think of Holden's Golden Glow. I am beyond help.
    MILD:

I have this dream every now and again where i'm somewhere along way from home and the missus gives me a pass for the evening. I have a list of pubs that I really want to get to but I keep getting distracted and end up further and further away.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I sometimes have a weird dream about being in a pub that seems to be combination of two closed Shrewsbury pubs , the Market Vaults and the Plough , downstairs is the Vaults and upstairs the Plough , nothing really happens , have a few pints and go home

I delivered to a golf club last week and the barmaid in the bumhugger micro-skirt and thigh lenth boots is welcome in my dreams anytime
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    At least when you dream about MILD you wake up dry, even if you spill it
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    I delivered to a golf club last week and the barmaid in the bumhugger micro-skirt and thigh lenth boots is welcome in my dreams anytime
    Hole in one?