Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Buying beer online?

Teetotal

Default Buying beer online?

Hi guys - it's my first post on the forum, so be gentle with me!

This is part market research, part immediate interest. I've been looking at buying bottled beers online as a gift.

I was just wondering whether this was something that any of you do? Are there reasons for not taking this route, in terms of cost and quality? I've been looking at a few online beer shops and they do have varied ranges, but I've found that delivery costs are quite expensive. Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Keith

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Hi Keithb, welcome to Pug

I have never bought beer online, for the reason you give, delivery cost just kills it for me

Luckily I live near an Asda, Morrison's & Lidl, plus of course the local co-op and I find the ranges offered suit me, perhaps if my tastes were more exotic there could just be reason to buy online

Teetotal

Hi Farway,

Thank you - I appreciate your reply.

Yes, I guess that maybe the online stores are trying to appeal to those who want beers that they can't source locally. I'm also a fan of the Co-op's selections - they seem to have 3 or 4 different offerings from our (relatively small) local brewery, which is always good news.

I don't know whether it's just because they have a small outlet here, but Tesco (they have a Tesco Express in the town), seem to offer barely any selection at all. I'm surprised - most of my friends join me in drinking local beers and I would have thought that Tesco are missing a trick.

Keith,

Have you looked at Beers of Europe near Kings Lynn? To most post code areas they charge a flat delivery fee on £7.49. Obviously, the more you order the better value for money you get.

Other than that, individual breweries tend to offer their own brews via their websites.
    Waes hael!