Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anger over festive ale called 'Beachy Head Christmas Jumper'

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Default Anger over festive ale called 'Beachy Head Christmas Jumper'

From the Argus:

Families of suicide victims have reacted angrily over a festive real ale called the Beachy Head Christmas Jumper.
    Relatives of people who have killed themselves at the notorious 530ft suicide spot near Eastbourne accused the local brewer of insensitivity in their choice of name.
    The term jumper is a well-known phrase used to describe a person who dies or survives after falling from a great height.
    Keith Lane, 61, whose wife Maggie died at the cliffs in March 2004, condemned the Beachy Head Brewery and said the label on the 7.2% ale should be replaced.
    Mr Lane, a window cleaner who lives in Polegate, near Eastbourne, said: "When I first saw it I thought it was disgusting. I couldn't believe it. I know the brewery says it wasn't meant to be offensive but it doesn't take Einstein to work out that the word jumper has a link to suicide victims.

....continues

The brewery claim no evil intent, and the public have pitched in with their usual measured comments.

I suppose this follows on from recent comments online and in CAMRA's 'Beer' magazine regarding 'comedy' beer names. I think that, if I were the brewer, I might have come up with the name and then thought 'maybe not'. Mind you, that's my reaction to most comedy beer names.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Christmas Jumper was aruond last year and I didn't notice anyone complaining.

Talking of suicide, I'm watching the One Show and they've had to apologise after guest Jeremy Clarkson complained about trains stopping after peopple have jumped in front of them. He said it's a bit late and he's fed up with paying £75 for a cab from Reading to London. Certainly bad taste, but I think that there are a lot of people in this country that make being offended a hobby.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Comedy beer names are one thing, but this is something else altogether. They just must have known what connotations would be placed on that name. Crass is the best that I can say about it. But perhaps it's a deliberate ploy for publicity, on the basis that the only thing worse than bad publicity is no publicity. Maybe I'm being overly cynical though.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Christmas Jumper was aruond last year and I didn't notice anyone complaining.
    There was a relatively high profile suicide at Beachy Head recently, which may well have fanned the flames, but either way, it's a pretty poor choice of name, intentional or otherwise.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...eap-from-cliff

Somebody in the media spotlight lobs themself off Beachy Head and suddenly a local rag decides to drag out the family of a suicide victim and jump all over a brewery because of the name of a beer. My thoughts go out to her family, but I'm sure the last thing they are thinking about is a small brewery in East Sussex.

Also, from the Argus apparently from the mouth of the head brewer "This started with a pump clip showing Father Christmas in a big fluffy jumper" - What a load of bollox. The first thing anyone I know would think when reading Beachy Head Christmas Jumper is exactly what they planned.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

We all have boundaries regarding humour, often based on personal links to the subject matter. I think it's an awful, crass name and the brewery is being disingenuous at the very least.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Disgraceful. I deal a lot with inquests and the graphic material they contain - what this brewery have done is just way over the top.
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

So does it taste any good then

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    So does it taste any good then
    It's to die for.

Question

" fired a broadside over an "insensitively" named beer."
    http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Customer...ail/story.html
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"