Ads not shown when logged in
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool PG meet up

Another try at uploading a group photo (possibly with a prize to anybody who can work out exactly what Dave was thinking at the moment the shutter button was pressed...).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-03-02-398s.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	693  

Clive forgot to mention Liverpool knew we were coming and laid on the Band of the Royal Marines when he arrived .

Luckily I caught my train this time ............the only one problem was no toilets available on board. Believe me when I say it is a very long way from Liverpool to Leeds, other than that and the Blonde Bird catastrophe, a fine day, thanks to all for making the day so good.

DaveM, any chance you could publish those stats you showed some of us in Rigby's on the forum please?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Great to see everyone yesterday - really enjoyed it and nice to see some new faces too. I think we all had a really good day....I was suffering when I first got to Dr D's after our Chester Crawl the day before, but soon got into the swing of things. There were a couple of pubs there yesterday that were new to me, so thanks to Old Boots for his tour, especially the Poste House with the interesting upstairs bar, which we all found quite amusing!!

Well done to Gill for her sermon in the Fly in the Loaf...I think she may have been trying to put manners on us (unsuccessfully)! After the Dispensary, we ventured up to the Phil, where I had a couple of Thornbridge, which really finished me off. Glad you enjoyed the pork pies in the Lion Tavern, as when I was in on Thursday evening, they had ran out and I put a request in to replenish the stocks for our visit on Friday.

Will put the photos on site tomorrow...cheers Ray

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

To round off our great Liverpool trip, we managed about a dozen decent ales at the Wigan fest today. In Head of Steam Liverpool now waiting for our train and had a beer from Brew Star brewery, Morpeth. Excellent end to a brill weekend.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

I finally got back home around 7pm this evening after an excellent couple of days away. It was good to catch up with everyone - I'm sorry I didn't get around to chatting with all of you on the Friday, but I somehow found myself playing catch up with the main group for most of the day - my mate Adam and I got left behind in the Vernon Arms and never properly got back in sync from that point on.

The last I saw of most people was in the White Star - after which we ended up in a place called Bier, which was better than I expected, before managing to catch up with some of the group in the Dispensary where I got hold of some of that lovely Hawkshead NZPA. Most people went off for food or to catch trains home at this point, so we decided to take in one more pub - The Swan - which we ended up staying in for a couple of hours, taking advantage of the excellent juke box.
    We called it a night around 10pm, but I found myself calling in the Lady of Mann and Poste House which I'd missed earlier in the day, before getting to the hotel.

On Saturday I wandered down to the docks to have a look at HMS Liverpool and then stumbled upon Millay's marching band who were parading down Chapel/Tithebarn Street - a fitting send off. Mopped up a few pubs I hadn't yet made it to including Bridewell, Grapes (Roscoe St), Pilgrim (worst beer of the weekend), Caledonia and Crown. Shared the train home with a large group of jubilant Arsenal fans including one Dermot O'Leary.

25 new pubs clocked up - now to get on with the reviewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Pilgrim (worst beer of the weekend)
    I did warn you!

Gillhalfpint - after a bit of digging I've discovered that Bakehouse brewery (Cupcake, tried in Rigbys) are really Warwickshire under a fake name see below.

http://www.beermad.org.uk/brewery/4834
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 04-03-2012 at 08:26.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Wow. What a few days! I think Mr Millay has summed up much of what I remember. I did manage to cram in the Belvedere and Ye Cracke at the end of Day 1 although I only have Pubsignman's word for it. How we got through Day 2 is beyond me but we got there. Since I had done Rigby's the previous day I sneaked into the Lady of Mann for a crafty pint. I think the final count for me was 25 pints in 22 different pubs! Thanks to Clive for steering me to Lime Street - I would probably have ended up on a bench in Stanley Park otherwise. Not sure I'll make any sense of my notes so will have to plan a return. Wonderful city.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Great to see so many PuG regulars and some new faces in Liverpool ,it really was an excellent crawl.I was also very impressed that Roger B and the Traincrew who,despite having been on what most people would describe as a two day bender,still felt fit enough to visit The Doric Arch once the Virgin service had arrived in Euston.

Look forward to meeting up again on Andy's Black Country Odyssey if not beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I was also very impressed that Roger B and the Traincrew who,despite having been on what most people would describe as a two day bender,still felt fit enough to visit The Doric Arch once the Virgin service had arrived in Euston.
    Not me! I did the Euston Tap!