Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool PG meet up

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    and essential leave....? Really, this, surely, is reasonably essential?
    I'm keeping karma, and carrying on
    Waes hael!

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Disappointing that one mate but still what can you do. Catch you again on the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    Disappointing that one mate but still what can you do. Catch you again on the next one.
    Thanks. It's a right bummer but the less I say about it the better.
    Waes hael!

Right I've finally got my act together and booked myself up for this one.

I'll be arriving on the Thursday afternoon and leaving from Lime Street at 20:04.

Looking forward to it as Liverpool is yet another city I've never been to.

Andy, sorry to see you can't make this one. I'm just going to get my name down for the Best of Black Country though.

Alas I can no longer go as it is my Nan's 90th on the second and there's gonna be a party that requires my presence. One of those calls. I guess I can let you lot sift through the Scouse chaff on my behalf

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    As far as I can see it's Friday 2nd March meeting at the Head of Steam (probably) between 11 and 12

Arriving Thursday:- Pubsignman and RogerB
    Ariving Friday AM:- Gill, RobC, OldBoots, Sheffield Hatter, with Bucking Fastard at 12:15, Soupy and Andy Ven TBC

Choice of two routes

1. Dr Duncans - Ship & Mitre - Vernon - Poste House(?)- Lion - Railway (?) - Rigbys - Hole in the Wall(?)- White Star- Globe - Crown.
    The Baltic Fleet could be included between the White Star and the Globe for fast walkers.

2. Crown - (Mc Hales Shamrock Bar/Vines) - Dispensary - Roscoe Head - Fly in the Loaf - Philly (just the bogs?) - Belvedere - Caledonia - Ye Crake - Pilgrim - Grapes - Swan - Globe/Crown. Peter Kavanaghs could be slipped in after the Belvedere/Caledonia - again for fast walkers.

So far there's one vote for each of the routes.

Roger, The Baltic and Brewery Tap make a two hander down near the waterfront, The Caledonia and Kavanaghs could also be included if you start at the Caledonia then walk down Parliament St from Kavanaghs to the Brewery Tap then along Wapping to the Baltic then cut up by the bus station/Police HQ back into the centre.
    Thought I would bump this thread as it's only 10 days away.

It seems the list of attendees is as follows:

Real Ale Ray and Fiona
    oldboots
    RogerB
    Bucking Fastard
    gillhalfpint and Ray
    ROBCamra
    SoupDragon
    rpadam
    sheffield hatter
    trainman + Jonesey
    Pubsignman
    Paul of Horsham + Wirral based friend(s)
    Dave M

Deepest apologies if I have missed anyone out,or included someone whose plans have changed.

Given that there is quite a large party,it may well be sensible to firm up the crawl route to avoid loosing people and also allowing those that are staying in Liverpool for a few days to plan their other pub visits.

To that end and referring to the two routes oldboots describes above,I would plump for Route 2 which I think makes the poll,including Roger B's vote ;

One vote for Route 1
    Three votes for Route 2

Any other voters ?
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 21-02-2012 at 08:18. Reason: Nudge from Andy V

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

We have done most of those listed on both routes, so will go with the flow. We like more of the route 2 pubs best, but as we have Saturday in Liverpool too, we are happy to let those on a first visit chose their preferences for Friday.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Been in all the pubs except one on both the routes.

I still think the Pilgrim's a dump though, but perhaps it deserves another try as it's in the GBG 2012.

Although what criteria Merseyside CAMRA use is anyone's guess as they've had one real s**thole in the GBG most years recently (not always the same one though)

We're back in Liverpool for 2 nights in Early April anyway, so it really doesn't matter that much to me.

I may accidently fail to leave Ye Cracke or the Fly when you go to The Grim.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I thought I'd add an obvious omission:

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post

Real Ale Ray and Real Ale Fiona
    Waes hael!

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

I have done many (though not all) of these, so I'll abstain and go with the majority.

Wirral friend(s) may not appear, depending on work situation - must chase up, if only as a reminder about that accommodation offer!

Wirral friend does, however, have a Liverpool pubs update (following a question or two from me):
    The Head of Steam is still not very good. You've got the Crown the other side of Lime Street. It's got beer, but I suspect it's chain owned. But not a bad place. You've also got Ma Edgertons near the Steam, not so much a beer place but a local feel to it.

We have a new place half way up Bold Street down a side road to the left. Old pub turned into new place - maybe called Bier I think. Great selection last time I was there. And the Bridewell is open again. Not brilliant beer, but interesting because you can sit in the cells! Even the Phil is doing better beer again now.

Old pub turned into new place was the Old Ropewalk and a request to mark opened has been submitted - several blog reviews are online (here's one). Some of the pubs mentioned may interest anyone who's making more than a day of it .

Is there a meeting-place & time? I'll be arriving at 11:15. I think Head of Steam has been mentioned (but see note above - it wasn't great last year when I was in there - a poor selection of poor quality I seem to remember).

Next week then
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years