Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool PG meet up

Default Liverpool PG meet up

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post

See you all on the next crawl in Liverpool!
    I'm sure Gill may have her own list to add to this, given her recent Liverpool crawls, but what would you say are your top 5 Liverpool pubs? (I'd be mightily surprised if the Philharmonic wasn't one of them and equally surprised if the Grafton was )

The other question is when is the Everyman due to re-open (or has it already?)
    Waes hael!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

The Philharmonic to me is a bit like the Old Trip in Nottingham. It is one to go in and have a look round. I did get a look in the gents after the chaps made sure it was ok to go in for photos though.

We have done
    Augustus John .. Baltic Fleet .. Belvedere .. Cracke .. Dispensary .. Doctor Duncans .. Fly in the loaf .. Globe .. Grapes .. Lady of Mann ..
    Lion Tavern .. Monroe .. Peter Kavanagh's .. Philharmonic .. Pilgrim .. Richard John Blackler .. Richmond Hotel .. Roscoe Head .. Ship & Mitre .. Swan Inn .. Thomas Rigby's .. Vernon Arms .. and White Star from those in 2012 GBG plus one or two others not in like Everyman's .. Hole in the Wall .. Crown .. Head of Steam.

Loved Roscoe Head and Cracke.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    I'm sure Gill may have her own list to add to this, given her recent Liverpool crawls, but what would you say are your top 5 Liverpool pubs? (I'd be mightily surprised if the Philharmonic wasn't one of them and equally surprised if the Grafton was )

The other question is when is the Everyman due to re-open (or has it already?)
    Mighty difficult as there's many more than five excellent pubs in Central Liverpool, but I like these (after three goes)

Baltic Fleet
    Fly in the Loaf
    Globe
    Vernon Arms
    Roscoe Head

(and then Ship & Mitre, Rigby's, Dispensary, Dr Duncan's, Belvedere, Lion, Poste House, Swan, White Star, Ye Cracke)

You can only mean the "Bogs of the Philly" it always feels like a priviledge rather than a pleasure to visit the pub but not top five and neither is Peter Kavanagh's which is on a lot of people's don't miss list.

The Grafton? The worst pubs in L1,2, 3 or 7 are the Shamrock/Mc Hales or The New Penny (closed I think) or anyone of a few dozen or so in and around Wood Street/Bold Street or most of them in the Cavern Quarter. Some places like the Blob Shop or Durty Nellies are just mad and worth visiting on that basis.

The reason I asked the question was because I spent some of my younger days studying(?) at Liverpool Polytechnic, long before I was a real ale convert.

The places I used to frequent included the Philharmonic, Ye Cracke, the Casablanca (now Casa Bar but then a dingy club with brown painted walls - I still have my membership card), occasionally the Everyman and the Pilgrim. I tried to avoid the Students' Union bar - too many bloody students!

Further out, near to where I lived : The Dryden (now demolished), The Edinburgh in Fairfield, The Flathouse in Tuebrook (but never the Coconut Grove - as an impoverished student I never had the money for the requisite suit - shell-suit that is), The Belmont on West Derby Road and Sam Dodds in Anfield. I have no burning curiosity to return to these places but the more central ones I would like to see again to sample the ale rather than the C*rl*ng Bl*ck L*b*l.
    Waes hael!

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Andy I think you know more pubs than round Liverpool than I do from what you're telling us from your student days. I have to confess I was in the Grafton once and the Coconut Grove twice. Those where the days when women danced round their handbags in the middle of the dance floor. The Everyman is still closed and will be for some time. My no 1 pub in L,pool at the minute has to be the White Star, 2nd place goes to the Loin Tav, the Baltic Fleet as I think their ales are brill and you get a good bowl of scouse and red cabbage and a roll for £3.50. The Phil which is now a Nicholson's and they have some great beers. The Dr Duncans as the Barmaids are well fit and the Cains is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    The Dr Duncans as the Barmaids are well fit and the Cains is not bad.
    as anyone who reads my review will of course know .

I would suggest it would be pub No2 on our proposed crawl of Liverpool after a meet up in the Head of Steam and followed by a walk over the road to No3 the Ship & Mitre.

BTW do the gents still ming in Dr D's?

I guess we should start a new thread for the Liverpool meet up when we decide a suitable date, early spring 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I guess we should start a new thread for the Liverpool meet up when we decide a suitable date, early spring 2012?
    I reckon that everything from Andy's of 17/11/11 needs to be moved to a new thread!
    Come On You Hatters!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I reckon that everything from Andy's of 17/11/11 needs to be moved to a new thread!
    Or change the thread title to PG meet-ups?
    MILD:

Either. Feel free.
    Waes hael!

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

BTW do the gents still ming in Dr D's?

Depends wot day u call and how busy Lime street station is as the the main waste pipe runs from the station and directly under the gents to the mersey. So you're usually better sharing with the ladies, possibly without getting arrested! Yeah a spring crawl sounds fab. Good 1 Ray.
    Last edited by Real Ale Ray; 21-11-2011 at 20:34.